Another Schwerin U-Boat Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Schwerin U-Boat Badge

Eagle with a parakeet beak. Polly want a cracker? Cutout swastika. There appears to be an assortment of opinions on these Schwerins. I think this one looks good compared to all I've seen, and it came from a trusted dealer:
    -Ralph Abercrombie

reverse

:
    Attached Files
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

hmmm....

I thought most of these had a round wire catch? Most of the pics in the archive show a wire catch.
      Attached Files
      -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Here's Polly

Awk! Shiver me timbers...
        Attached Files
        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

das boot

Boat has a ballast line and a prop...
          Attached Files
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Finally...

Aren't these sooo cute? Gotta love the minis!
            Attached Files
            -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Looks very nice to me!

Actually, they came in both flat and round wire "C" style catches, though I can't seem to find out which one was first or why the change.

The gilding on these is really spectacular, isn't it? Nice looking badge, you're lucky to have one so nice.
              Tim

Comment

Whatch out!

Beware!
                Saw several of these at the same small show in Germany recently. And they were quite cheap, too. About USD 200.00. They are to common to be OK, if you ask me.

Comment

Ludwig,

Well, it is a badge that has been highly faked for a number of years and I would imagine that the fakers are getting better each time. Did you see the details on these badges at the show you mentioned and does it match the quality of this badge? I would like to hear more on these if you have additional information. I would also like to know who the seller was at the show if you know.

I am also curious if the ones you looked at had the flat or round wire "C" style catch, or if both were observed.

I do know what you mean when there is suddenly an overabundance of a certain badge on the market. It never ceases to amaze me when after not seeing a certain badge by a certain maker and one finally pops up, then all of a sudden you see a half-dozen of them show in the collector community either by different dealers or individual sellers. Makes me wonder sometimes if there isn't some big manufacturer out there that spits these out every so often.

Flak40,

Personally, I like your badge. Do you know any history behind this one?

Tim

Comment

No, no history on this one. Another Weitze acquisition, from among a few he had of varying quality. This one looks good to me, too, and I bought it knowing that this particular maker is extensively faked in reference to this badge.

It's welcome in my collection. I believe it to be genuine. have no plans to ever sell it, so I don't have to worry about what the next person will say...

That's what's important in this case. Thanks for the input so far.
                    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Thumbs Up?

The badge looks good to me although I have never seen one as yet with the silver rectangular section catch in a 'C' shape, normally this type of catch is found formed with a flat bottom where it attaches to the badge.

On all other schwerin badges with the rectangular section 'C' type catch, if you look closely at the ends you will likely find that one end is effectively cut at 90 degrees while the other end (usually the end where it joins the badge it is cut off at 45 degrees.

I believe that this was done to make the catch easier to fasten. I also believe that the badges with silver rectangular section catch are the earlier badge when compared with the ones having a round wire catch. This one may be an exception as there are other features which differentiate the two types. Any idea of the weight.

Regards
                      Rob.
                      Regards, Rob
                      Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Re: weight of badge

I'll post the wieght in a day or so. I just ordered another scale, this time an electronic one that reads in 0.10 gram increments!.
                        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Rob,

That's very interesting and something I never noticed before on these catches.

FYI, my round wire model weighs in at 24.6 grams and other than the catch, almost mirrors Flak40's badge here.
                          Tim

Comment

U

I am sorry, but I don´t remember any of the details you ask for. And I didn´t ask the sellers for their names. It was NOT any of the more wellknown sellers (Winkler, Niemann, weitze, Huesken).

Comment

Type 1 Badge

Below is a photo of the eagle of what I belive to be the earlier version of the badge. the eagle has a charactoristic thick neck and the top of the wing completely burnished. These are found with the silver rectangular section wire catch and are generally unmarked. They are the heaviest of the badges with a weight ranging from 25.5 - 25.8g
                              Attached Files
                              Regards, Rob
                              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X