Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badge awarding question

Hi guys,

I live in the SF Bay Area and we are surrounded by closed military bases. One of my favorites is Mare Island Naval Shipyard. When the dog Apollo was a youngster I took him there regularly to take in the sights, and get some good exercise in. I went very early on Sunday mornings to avoid crowds.

There is a small park across from the former Administration Building and the following are still on display there. Though some nincompoop on the Vallejo City Council tried to eliminate all the items on display.

Mare Island was a major West coast submarine base during and after WWII

Here is the item of interest which leads to my question:
    What badge would operators of these been awarded?
    A sub badge perhaps?

Attached Files

Hi Bruce,
    Pilots of those Neger/Marder midget submarines qualified for Small Battle Unit badge not the u-boat badge.
    One of them operated by Oberleutnant zur See Karl Heinz Potthast sunk ORP Dragon during the night mission in Normady on 7/8 July 1944. ORP Dragon was one of two Polish cruisers used in WW2.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...dragon+cruiser
    Cheers,
    Hubert

Comment

RKT Walther Gerhold, mentioned in the other thread, made four combat missions with a Neger/Marder, but never even got the Bewährungsabzeichen (Proficiency badge).
      Can you please take some photos of the interior?

Comment

Hi guys

......Thanks Hubert. Much appreciated.

.....Ludwig, I will get over there by the weekend and get some more shots for you.

Here's one more from my files.

Attached Files

Comment

I really do appreciate that, Bruce!

Comment

Hi Ludwig

.....Here are some more images for you. I am afraid you will be somewhat disappointed(as am I) that .......well you'll see. I climbed up on the Neger/Marder this morning to get a peek inside......this is what I found.
            Attached Files

Comment

More

......As can be seen they gutted it either when it arrived or, but more likely, before it was shipped to the West Coast.
              Attached Files

Comment

More

Attached Files

Comment

More

......with a more contemporary delivery system.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The last......

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very, very much, Bruce!
                      Empty cockpit, but still some very nice and interesting pictures.
                      I really do appreciate that you took the time to go there.

Comment

Great pictures Bruce, very interesting, thanks for showing
                        Cheers,
                        Hubert

Comment

Hi guys

......I'm pleased that you liked em. In the last image you can just see my buddy Apollo. He had big fun while we were there as a couple had brought their two pets and he got to play with them. All in all I really like making the trip so, for me, it isn't out of the way.
                          Over the last 5 years I have had a chance to explore, and take pics, of many of the abandoned buildings on the former base that have been demolished during the past year.
                          In post #4 what appears to be a grey wall, in the background, is actually part of the above ground concrete bunkers that are concentrated centrally in the Industrial, and Administrative, area.
                          During the late 60's and into the 90's nuclear attack subs were serviced at the base. They traveled on the surface when they entered the San Francisco Bay on there way to port. They were something to see.
                          Last image:

Best,
                          Bruce
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting, Bruce! Once again thank you very much!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X