Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch Hilfskreuzer Thor Artz Jürgen Harms

Hi guys

Today I received this very nice soldbuch group of Dr Jürgen Harms. Harms was the medical chief on Hilfskreuzer Thor. He was awarded the EK2, EK1 and Auxiliary cruiser badge for his service on the auxiliary cruiser ship "Thor" during 1940 till 1942. On 4 April 1941 Thor sank the British auxiliary cruiser ship "Voltaire" causing many casualties. It is written that Harms worked together with medical officer of the Voltaire and all the crew of the Thor to treat the seamen that could escape the wreckage.

On 30 november 1942 Thor exploded in Yokohama and also meant an end to Harms' pirat career. He was transferred to hospital in Bergen op Zoom, Holland where he could work as a normal Dr. again till the end of the war.

Crazy to own an actual piece of history of the Thor now.

Thanks again to my good friend somewhere in the forests of Paris

Giel
    Attached Files
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Very cool addition to your collection! Looks ilke a Junker AC. Did all members of Thor receive Junkers?

Comment

Hi Giel,
      Great Juncker tombak AC and the whole grouping, awesome piece of history
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

Comment

Excellent SB!

Comment

Giel, amazing grouping. Juncker AC badge of course.

John

Comment

Will the SB come up for sale on your homepage?

Comment

wow
                Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Terrence View Post
                  Did all members of Thor receive Junkers?
                  On the 1st cruise of the Thor it is quite possible Terrence.

The 1st cruise in the Atlantic went from June 6 1940 to April 30 1941.

The HSK award was instituted on April 24 1941 and if you notice the date of the award received by Dr.Harms, it was a couple of months after the Thor returned to Germany after her 1st cruise in June of 1941.

My guess is that all members on that 1st cruise received the same award ?

As i have mentioned elsewhere,and going from my records,it appears that Dr.Harms only served on the 1st cruise of the Thor under the command of Otto Kahler.
                  I have the complete crewlists from both cruises of the Thor and i do not see Dr.Harms name on the crewlist from the 2nd cruise under Gunther Gumprich.

Crewmen on this 2nd cruise that had not served on the 1st cruise would have been awarded the "Japanese" made award that were produced in Yokohama after the Thor was destroyed there on October 9 1942.

All in all,this is a super little grouping and a great find for Giel.

I'm envious.

BTW,I have the ships log from the 1st cruise,compiled by the 1st Officer,Wener Koppen-Benke.It mentions the action fought against HMS Voltaire.

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

Nice writing! I have been looking for one of those Yokahama Hks for years

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                      All in all,this is a super little grouping and a great find for Giel.
                      Agreed, Martin and thanks for sharing the info and context

Comment

Error.
                        Last edited by Martin W; 01-12-2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrence View Post
                          I have been looking for one of those Yokahama Hks for years
                          Took me a while too Terrence.

This is the only one i have,a little beat up but one of the rarer tombak pieces.

The "Sterling" examples are a little more common,but still very rare nonetheless.

Despite the condition,it is the prize of my collection.

Cheers,Martin.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys and for the extra research Martin!!!
                            Kind regards,
                            Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X