2 Kriegsmarine Badges for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Kriegsmarine Badges for Review

i am looking at 2 Kriegsmarine badges that someone has for sale, i would like them to be authenticated and i would like to know the makers if possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also an average value on each piece i would be curious to know. Thank you to all who respond in advance.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 01-04-2016, 11:17 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Hi,
    The Minesweeper badge is nice, early unmarked tombak piece by AS in triangle maker, hand vaulted by the owner.
    The AC badge is most likely postwar or at least postwar assembled S&L zincer. I would also double check the hinge since it looks off to me and could be replaced or repaired.
    Cheers,
    Hubert

Comment

Thanks for the info on these badges. They are mine. I'm not a dedicated badge collector and definitely didn't know all about the bad vibes on these Aux Cruiser badges. I took alot of time reading up on them now and what I got out of it is this Cruiser badge was assembled post war with a type 2 non ferrous globe. Attached is a picture of the rivet. It looks like it has a brass or copper hue to it. No striations to the back and no, there is nothing wrong with the hinge , just a little verdigris of sorts. Let me know if I'm close to figuring this one out.
      Regard, Mitch
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mitch,

the AC badge shows a typical hollow rivet on the reverse that is associated with S&L's postwar production.It also shows what is referred to as the "second type globe" with the wider lines of long' and lat' and the flaws on the bow waves.
        I collect AC awards and i find these "postwar" badges by S&L interesting and collectable.

But that's just me.

As mentioned,the badge itself,hinge,pin and catch are probably assembled from leftover wartime stock ??

Regards,Martin.
        Last edited by Martin W; 01-10-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Martin for the reply. I can see where you would think they are collectible. They are old and they are nicer looking than a straight out repro !
          Regards, Mitch

Comment

S&Ls with such hollow rivets are belived to be made 1970-up.
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

Wow are they really that newly produced that is very interesting!

Comment

Well,the hollow rivet can also be found on "very" early 1957 HSK awards by S&L.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                  Well,the hollow rivet can also be found on "very" early 1957 HSK awards by S&L.

Regards,Martin.
                  Yes, indeed, thanks for the correction Martin
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

So i guess my question about that is why produce badges at that time with the old parts? Was the company trying to make some extra profits and wanting to fill the collectors market with post war assembly or was there another end to it ?? Did some german vets want there badges with swaztika ?

Comment

Originally posted by themariner View Post
                      So i guess my question about that is why produce badges at that time with the old parts? Was the company trying to make some extra profits and wanting to fill the collectors market with post war assembly or was there another end to it ?? Did some german vets want there badges with swaztika ?
                      All of the above. Souval did a brisk business for decades.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                        All of the above. Souval did a brisk business for decades.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Agreed.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X