• Show
Clear All

Cave Creek Specials x 2.

I do belive ive managed to ID these two
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi dragnet,

The Fleet badge is indeed a known fake but not the classic "Cave Creek special" as defined by Mike Kenny here:
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...04#post2200204

Having said that, jwburchell previously posted the same type as yours, acquired at a MAX show in 1999, which he rightly or wrongly attributed to the same source as the earlier Cave Creek specials, i.e. "Pieces of History" in Arizona.

The Minesweeper also is not a Cave Creek special. In fact, that one may actually be an original that has been heavily cleaned and polished, thus softening the detail and lightening the finish. I'd like to see better straight-on images as well as closeups of the hardware and margins if possible.

Here's a classic "Cave Creek Special" fake Minesweeper for comparison.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Norm, sorry for bad picks but the best i could do with crap lghting at the auction house, not if these extra shots help
        The HSF first....
        Attached Files

Comment

Ms.......
          Attached Files

Comment

Schwerin minesweeper looks good to me
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

What exactly is a "Cave Creek Special"?
              Jim

Comment

Do specials still come out of cave creek or did they go out of business?

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
                  What exactly is a "Cave Creek Special"?
                  Jim
                  Here is a primer on the subject:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+Creek+Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post
                    Do specials still come out of cave creek or did they go out of business?
                    I think the answers to those questions are no and no. According to the "Pieces of History" website, Lowell Jackson (formerly of Cave Creek, Arizona) sold the business of that name to the current owner in 2010 but continued in friendly contact with them to ensure a smooth transition. Perusing the current vendor's site, it now seems to be a legitimate purveyor of inexpensive novelty badges and pins as a "tribute to history" with no claims to sell original badges. It doesn't say where they are physically based at this time or in what country the products are made.

Lowell Jackson continues to have tables in military shows like the SOS. I don't think it's known where the badges were actually manufactured -- both then and now -- irrespective of where he sold them.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X