Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3xMS ideas on makers?

Hi All,

Have been away for some years (Family got in the way - twice :-)) but was still picking up pieces. Here are three MS that I've no idea as to possible manufacturer. I know things have come a Long way since 2003/4 so posting in the hope that someone might be able to put names to them.

Thanks in advance for any / all assistence!
    Attached Files

Hi anguspm,

Welcome back.

From left to right: a zinc S&L, a zinc probably ground-dug Souval (possibly with the R.S. ground off -- need closeups to see) and a Tombak Juncker.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Wow! I knew things had moved along but in 10 years to go from "unmarked MS" to a firm/good idea on all three is real Progress in the Hobby! I might have to dig out the many other "unkown makers from yesteryear".

Many thanks for the help. I am about to fly to France but upon return (thursday) will get some Close ups done on the possible RS... it is probably the worst Piece in the collection and therefore matchs my photographic capabilities perfectly!

Cheers!

PS - Great to be back!

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        Hi anguspm,

Welcome back.

From left to right: a zinc S&L, a zinc probably ground-dug Souval (possibly with the R.S. ground off -- need closeups to see) and a Tombak Juncker.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        I agree. This ground dug RS looks interesting, I would also like to see closeups of the reverse to make sure if the makers mark was ground off in the past?
        Cheers,
        Hubert

Comment

Currently away from home with work but will post better pics on thursday.

Many many thanks for your assiatence

Comment

Some better photos... Although it has taken me some time to do so. Apologies for the delay and thanks for the patience
            Attached Files

Comment

And the obverse
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi anguspm,

The photos aren't great but that "Souval" is looking pretty strange. I suppose maybe it's just horribly disfigured from corrosion but it has a lot of atypical features that may also suggest a fake disguised as a ground-dug badge.

The most obvious concern is the absence of the maker mark and absence of the usual raised rectangular outline around the hinge. Round pits looking suspiciously like casting pits, an oversized catch plate compared with the usual Souval and the atypical cut to the wire catch also all raise concerns. Finally, there's a raised border on the inner margins of the reverse that isn't found on original Souvals and can't be explained by corrosion.

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of this badge.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

The obverse seems quite horribly pitted but only on the lower half for some reason.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here are couple of typical construction Souvals for comparison.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Strange badge, except of the obverse design, does not look like any of known RS variants. Until another of this kind in better condition pops up I lean to think that this is cast fake artificially aged to disguise.
                      Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X