Km Destroyer Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Km Destroyer Badge

Ok, guys, I need some further help identifying this badge. I posted pictures earlier (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=82441) and have now spent many hours looking through photos of other destroyer badges. I cannot determine for sure which maker is responsible for this badge. So, I am asking all the "big guns" on this forum to give a little help to a new kid on the block. I know I can't learn without asking, so I hope you will indulge me. Thanks for your help! Gerri

The following two photos are of the catch, which is different (as far as I can tell) from any photos of other destroyer badges that I have been able to find. I have done a complete search of this forum, and no luck in matching the catch. The badge that looks most similar is a Foester & Barth, except for the catch. Does the catch have to be exactly like others from the same maker? Does anyone have an explanation for this difference? Does this affect the authenticity of the badge?

If you need more photos let me know.
    Attached Files

Heres the back of the badge.

Back:
    Attached Files

Comment

Frank, Larry, Philippe, others---any comments?

Comment

Hi Gerri,

As far as I'm concerned this is a texbook L/21 Foerster & Barth and 100% original.

KR
        Philippe

Comment

Thanks, Philippe! Do you know where I could find some photos of this type of badge to keep for reference purposes?
          Originally posted by Philippe DB
          Hi Gerri,

As far as I'm concerned this is a texbook L/21 Foerster & Barth and 100% original.

KR
          Philippe

Comment

Gerri PM me your e-mail address and I send you some pics . Can't post the ones in my files because I can't remember from who's collection they came.

KR
            Philippe

Comment

Hi Philippe,

The only Foester & Barth Destroyers I have ever seen show much different characteristics than this one. The pin I am used to seeing is the so called typical Foester pin. Also, the catch is different and the obverse desigin is totally different. This appears to be a tombak badge and I have only seen zink Foesters. They may have had totally different dies from their tombak badges vs. zink. Would you mind posting those pics in this thread?

Always learning.

Thanks
              Tom D.
              If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
              [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Here is mine.

Philippe, any pictures you might have that are mine, you certainly have my permission to use.

Best regards,
                T

Comment

reverse

Comment

Destroyer

Hello,
                    I may be wrong, but didn't B.H. Mayer use that type of catch?
                    Regards,
                    Jody

Comment

Hi Tom,

Now you make me doubt again. I know which L/21 Destroyer your refering to but in the meantime I'm at the office and can't look at my picture files. So I'm wondering now if the pics I send Gerri of the tombak destroyer featured a mm.

I excluded L/56 because the one I have on file has a rondwire catch and also featured a different hinge. I'll take an other look at the pics in my files tonight and get back to you.

@ Jody, I see where the idea comes from but the BH Mayer / F&R cathes have a round top and not flattened like these ones.

KR
                      Philippe

Comment

Hi Philippe and everyone,

L/56 was originally my guess too, but when I compared the waves, they didn't really match. The only L/56 pics I have are very dark and looking at them again, they could match. The reverse setup is an exact match, with the exception of my pic having a round wire catch. Could be a replacement though. The L/56 pics I have are from Robert Zimkas. Robert, if you see this, please post your L/56.

Terrence, I like your destroyer. It is a match to Gerris, except for the catch. Is yours marked?

Jody, regarding the B.H. Mayer catch, I have seen zink Mayers that feature a flat wire catch on a round catchplate. The pin runs vertically, but is a similar type shown here. The obverse design of a zink Mayer does not match those in this thread. I have not seen a tombak Mayer, at least marked anyway.

Tom D.
                        If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                        [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                        Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Hi all, on the original post i too thought F&B.Reason being eagles head and design, left wing of eagle not fully cut out, and design of superstructure- cutout. Hinge and hook i thought were in keeping with F&B. (now im confused ) I dont think the award shown is tombac though? Not at home yet but i was sure i had something similiar on file.Interesting!

Comment

Mine is not marked. There is however the "line" across the bow wave. Interesting!!

T

Originally posted by tdurante
                            Hi Philippe and everyone,

L/56 was originally my guess too, but when I compared the waves, they didn't really match. The only L/56 pics I have are very dark and looking at them again, they could match. The reverse setup is an exact match, with the exception of my pic having a round wire catch. Could be a replacement though. The L/56 pics I have are from Robert Zimkas. Robert, if you see this, please post your L/56.

Terrence, I like your destroyer. It is a match to Gerris, except for the catch. Is yours marked?

Jody, regarding the B.H. Mayer catch, I have seen zink Mayers that feature a flat wire catch on a round catchplate. The pin runs vertically, but is a similar type shown here. The obverse design of a zink Mayer does not match those in this thread. I have not seen a tombak Mayer, at least marked anyway.

Tom D.

Comment

Great looking badge Gerri, I love that one!
                              Kind regards,
                              Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X