Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare KM shield!

Hi Everyone

Here is a badge I have been longing to show you. Even though its not a warbadge I think its very interesting, the design, quality and that this ship might have been stationed here in Denmark during ww2. I came across this badge while on a survey on Holbæk Museum. If anyone can come up with more on this ship I'll be happy. I just did a quick search on the internet but didn't find anything specific about the "Ausbildungs-Schiff-Admiral Brommy".

Enjoy!

Cheers Thomas
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

That is a nice shield. I have never seen this one before.

Comment

Hi, if you understand german here is the link to some information about Schulfregatte Brommy

http://www.richardstokowski.de/fregatt.htm

Comment

If I read that website correctly, then somebody added the swastika to add "value" to a ship badge that Germany didn't acquire until 1957.
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Hi Hankmeister

I didn't read it that way. Add a svastika and give it to a museum for free? Could be but I don't think so.

Cheers Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by kraut-stuff
              Hi, if you understand german here is the link to some information about Schulfregatte Brommy

http://www.richardstokowski.de/fregatt.htm
              Thats a different ship, the "Brommy". The badge is for the "Admiral Brommy", which was a Segelschulschiff (translation?)

Hope, this helps

best,
              Gerd

Comment

Hi Thomas, never seen this one before either.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

They should try to conserve this badge before it corrodes further...I suspect that the corrosion on the surface will further erode the finish if not treated.

Comment

Taken from the website:

Beide Einheiten erhielten Namen von Persönlichkeiten, die mit der deutschen Marinegeschichte verbunden sind: BROMMY nach Konteradmiral Bromme, genannt Brommy, Befehlshaber der von der Frankfurter Nationalversammlung 1848/49 geschaffenen ersten deutschen Bundesflotte,

'Both units received names from personalities, that were tied to the history of the German Navy: Brommy after KonterAdmiral Bromme (Rear Admiral? Don't know), Leader of the First German National Fleet established by the National Assembly of 1948/49....'

And the badge pictured is for AUSBILDUNGSSCHIFF Brommy; quite simply a "learning", "developing", or "schooling" ship.

So I believe this is one and the same, and somebody stamped a small swastika into a post-war badge to make the badge more collectable.

Can't prove it; but it wouldn't be the first time somebody faked something like this.

Food for thought!

Originally posted by Gerd Becker
                    Thats a different ship, the "Brommy". The badge is for the "Admiral Brommy", which was a Segelschulschiff (translation?)

Hope, this helps

best,
                    Gerd
                    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.

Comment

1) a whole century got lost in your translation
                      2) IMO it is obvious that the swastika was NOT added lateron but is original to the badge
                      Cheers, Frank

Comment

If you scroll down on this website, you will see two entries for TWO different ships called BROMMY. One built in 1916, a Räumbootbegleitschiff still used (and sunk) in WWII and the more recent BROMMY of British origin now in the current German army. TWO different ships.

http://www.janmaat.de/m_kadmbrommy.htm
                        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi Frank,
                          In the link you provide, the first Brommy is - as you say - a Räumbootbegleitschiff. The second, taken over from the English post WW2, was used as a "Schulfregatte". I don't see how the badge, clearly labeled as an "Ausbildungschiff", would apply to the Räumbootbegleitschiff.

To me, and I'm definitely not an expert, it seems like the badge was made for a ship that sea cadets learned on, which is exactly what the badge says. If it was for the first one, the Räumbootbegleitschiff, why doesn't it say that?

Or - because my German isn't perfect - was the first Brommy used also as an Ausbildungschiff? The two websites quoted quite obviously give only a cursory history of the ships.

Thanks. If I'm dragging this thread out unnecessarily, shoot me a p.m. to straighten me out. Not trying to drag anybody or anything through the mud here.

Originally posted by Frank Heukemes
                          If you scroll down on this website, you will see two entries for TWO different ships called BROMMY. One built in 1916, a Räumbootbegleitschiff still used (and sunk) in WWII and the more recent BROMMY of British origin now in the current German army. TWO different ships.

http://www.janmaat.de/m_kadmbrommy.htm

Comment

Yes, I PRESUME the Räumbootbegleitschiff (convoy ship) was lateron used as a Ausbildungsschiff.

I can only state there were (at least) two ships with that name. There might be many more since Brommy was head of the German marine mid of the 19th century, so a very prominent person who had quite some ships named after him.

I can also only state that the plaque looks original to ME and that includes the swastika.
                            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Found here:http://www.janmaat.de/sss_hilgendorf.htm

Die Reichsverkehrsgruppe Seeschiffahrt war eine Unterabteilung des Reichsverkehrsministeriums und als solche die staatliche Berufsvertretung der Seeleute. Sie befaßte sich u.a. auch mit der Ausbildung der Seeleute und hatte in Stettin auf dem ehemaligen Eisbrecher "Preussen" und in Bremen auf dem hölzernen Dampfer "ADMIRAL BROMMY" Schiffsjungenschulen eingerichtet, die etwa den heutigen Seemannsschulen entsprachen. Mit der Indienststellung des Fünfmastschoners KAPITÄN HILGENDORF am 3. Juli 1939 wurde in Hamburg die dritte Schiffsjungenschule eröffnet.

So, quite apparently, there was a wooden steamer (correct translation?) that WAS used as an ausbildungschiff! Maybe there were 3????
                              Call me satisfied, and wrong in the first place.

Originally posted by Frank Heukemes
                              Yes, I PRESUME the Räumbootbegleitschiff (convoy ship) was lateron used as a Ausbildungsschiff.

I can only state there were (at least) two ships with that name. There might be many more since Brommy was head of the German marine mid of the 19th century, so a very prominent person who had quite some ships named after him.

I can also only state that the plaque looks original to ME and that includes the swastika.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X