Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minesweeper Badge by Schwerin

Hi Guys,
    I was hoping that you could give me some opinions on this badge. I believe it is closest to the 2nd variation yet I have some concerns about it. It has very crisp edges (especially to the back explosion), there isn't much/any bleeding over of the gilding/silvering to the back, the placement and "R" in the maker mark are different, the pin hinge head is very big and the end of the pin should come out over the bottom. Please let me know if you think I am being too anal or this piece is bad.
    I appreciate your comments and opinions,
    Nathan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 06-03-2015, 06:43 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Originally posted by nathanhogle View Post
    ... I have some concerns about it. It has very crisp edges (especially to the back explosion), there isn't much/any bleeding over of the gilding/silvering to the back, the placement and "R" in the maker mark are different, the pin hinge head is very big and the end of the pin should come out over the bottom. Please let me know if you think I am being too anal or this piece is bad.
    Hi Nathan,

Thanks for posting this badge for discussion.

I agree completely with your list of observed anomalies. In fact, this is an example of the "Cave Creek Special" fake, but what makes it especially misleading is it looks as though someone may have replaced the fake main pin with a wartime main pin which gives it an added air of authenticity on first glance. (Either that or they just got really good at the pin reproduction.)

Definitely one for the fake drawer, though.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

(uploading your linked images to thread)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 06-03-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks again Norm!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Norm F; 06-03-2015, 06:46 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Comment

Agreed, typical Cave Creek fake.
        Cheers,
        Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X