Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2x Schickle like destroyer badges

Hi guys,

two another destroyer additions from today. Now I'm still looking for the L/15 and L/18 marked tombak examples and the L/18 and 26 marked zinc examples.

I hopy you like them and opinions are welcome.

BR
    Sven
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Sven,

Both rare setup variants of the Schickle Destroyer and in wonderful condition! Your Destroyer collection is becoming world class.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

All beauties
        Sven, you've got hooked by Destroyer badges for good
        Cheers,
        Hubert

Comment

BTW Sven, could you please show a closeup of the catch on your second Schickle, DC# 3.1.4? Always nice to see this catch variant.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Hi guys,

thanks for your comments, much appreciated!!!
            Here are some close-ups of the setup of both examples.

BR
            Sven

Comment

setup from the first example 1
              Attached Files

Comment

setup from the first example 2
                Attached Files

Comment

setup from the second example 1
                  Attached Files

Comment

setup from the second example 2
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Sven. It's always nice to see that classic early round-topped stamped sheet metal catch showing the characteristic ragged bit of metal on the interior margin.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Norm F; 12-07-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Hi Norm,

thanks for the picture with the L/15 catches! It's just a pitty, that my example does not have a L/15 maker mark. That marked Schickle destroyer would also be a dream for me.

BR
                        Sven

Comment

Hi Sven

Two great looking examples, both are lovely additions....

I was wondering about the Schickle attribution and these two destroyers.

Is the sheet metal catch with the inside jagged segment that replicates on this Destroyer and the L/15 marked wound badges the connection?

Also, how is the round catch version connected to Schickle?

Congrats My Friend!

Best regards, fischer

Comment

Originally posted by fischer View Post
                            I was wondering about the Schickle attribution and these two destroyers.

Is the sheet metal catch with the inside jagged segment that replicates on this Destroyer and the L/15 marked wound badges the connection?

Also, how is the round catch version connected to Schickle?
                            Hi Don,

As you know, there have been multiple overlapping discussions on the Schickle attribution to various badges, each coming from the perspective of a different badge type.

With regards to the Destroyer specifically, this topic is covered in some detail in "The Kriegsmarine Awards", volume III on pages 64-73. Briefly, the attribution is based upon:
                            1) This type being shown in the Schickle catalog supplement along with the Minesweeper and U-Boat badges.
                            2) The L/15-marked example previously owned by Gordon Williamson and most recently owned by the late Jan Arne Straete. (reverse attached)
                            3) The various reverse setups that all match reverse setups on Schickle's L/15-marked EK1.

As to the round-topped sheet metal catch with the jagged segment, as you know this appears on the L/15-marked EK1 and L/15-marked wound badges of all grades -- that's the main connection of that catch to Schickle. The L/15-marked Destroyer (only one example known) employs the other type of catch commonly associated with Schickle, i.e. the round-wire catch with the flattened base (shown). But no matter what the reverse setup (round-wire catch or round-topped sheet metal catch) all these Destroyers came from the same obverse die and show the same small linear flaws in the ship's suprastructure that is seen on the marked version.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Norm F; 12-07-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

A couple of more examples of Schickle's use of the round-topped sheet metal catch with the jagged segment.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X