Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Seas Fleet Badge

Hello..

I didn't have much in the world of Kreigsmarine until this March. I wasn't that excited about it when I got one. However, now that I look at them & do research they are quickly becoming some of my favorites. I can see how the addiction to this genre can easily take hold!

This is my High Seas Fleet badge and it is supposedly associated with a sailor was on the Gneisenau.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 10-12-2014, 03:37 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Hi Scott,

Nice badge. Glad you've got the bug.

I noticed that badge as part of this grouping for sale on the e-stand recently. The only thing that struck me as unusual was the Destroyer is an early P&L-attributed Tombak badge whereas the date of award on the Destroyer document was August, 1944, long after the transition to zinc.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree, nice tombak Schwerin HSF, the catch repaired obviously.
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

Hi Scott,

Great looking badge with just the right amount of wear. Neat little catch repair too.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

That is one really nice grouping!

Best regards,
          André

Comment

Norm has right with Destroyer set. Although there are also similar cases in Heer section (some people talking about proof of provenance). For me hard to tell about originality of sets like this. For sure most of them are just added for better value/complete the set.

BTW the whole set is great

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              Hi Scott,

Nice badge. Glad you've got the bug.

I noticed that badge as part of this grouping for sale on the e-stand recently. The only thing that struck me as unusual was the Destroyer is an early P&L-attributed Tombak badge whereas the date of award on the Destroyer document was August, 1944, long after the transition to zinc.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Unusual in respect to our timeline for these badges, but who knows what destroyer badge was issued to him. Maybe the destroyer itself had a stash of these badges, like Tirpitz had from recent recovery finds, in tombak. Or the Navy badge issue depot had it.

I would not worry about it if it was in my collection and assume it came from the sailor, either as an original issue badge or if a zinc badge was issued, a replacement badge.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post

I would not worry about it if it was in my collection and assume it came from the sailor, either as an original issue badge or if a zinc badge was issued, a replacement badge.

John
                I'm inclined to agree,and possibly a private purchase piece too ??

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Nice original badge. Don't forget to keep good scans of the documents, always nice to know where it came out!
                  Kind regards,
                  Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Hello.. thank you all for your nice and very insightful comments!

Thank you,
                    Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X