• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
    Wow, what a great GWL/Deumer destroyers in this thread
    Here is my unmarked one.
    Cheers,
    Hubert
    It looks so Sven - my unmarked Destroyer has its gilt more red in tone, looks copper-like a bit but it is still gold. My GWL marked example has typical yellow tone of gilt.
    Cheers,
    Hubert

Comment

Outstanding GWL destroyer Sven...fantastic condition!

I have to stop looking at these, I could easily become ensnared into collecting these KM beauties!

Comment

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for your kind comments, much appreciated!!!

@Jody: A very nice example as well, thanks for sharing!!!

@Hubert: I especially saw the difference on the reverse. I think my Deumer attributed destroyer has exactly the same finish as my Deumer attributed minesweeper.

BR
        Sven
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by schwelch View Post
          @Hubert: I especially saw the difference on the reverse. I think my Deumer attributed destroyer has exactly the same finish as my Deumer attributed minesweeper.

BR
          Sven
          Hi Sven,

I'm not convinced we're seeing any difference in the type of finish but just in the wear. Your photo nicely shows:
          a) the minty GWL on the left with all of its white frosting intact
          b) then the somewhat worn example with some scratches and worn areas in the frosting which exposes the silvered layer which takes on a black oxidized patina
          c) a further worn unmarked Deumer-attributed example which shows more wear of the frosting than the marked one and more of the same process of oxidation (like your Minesweeper).

To my eye, both the marked and unmarked badges were produced in the same factory and the only question was whether they were made by Deumer for G.W.L. or by G.W.L. for Deumer. Certainly it's the type that is pictured in Deumer's early wartime catalog and the zinc version appears on Deumer sample boards (not to mention the Minesweepers are sometimes marked L/11), but that doesn't tell us who actually manufactured the badges. My personal bias is towards Deumer making them for G.W.L and the marking produced the double-strike artifacts on the marked version which are absent from the unmarked ones, but it's still only a good theory.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful badges, thank you for sharing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X