Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandfather's markings

Hello all!

I've been reading with great interest about the rankings and various qualifications of Kriegsmarine personnel, and I was hoping someone could help me identify the markings on my grandfather's uniform.

Shown is he and my grandmother on their wedding day in 1943. Although they look quite serious (no smiling back then, I guess LOL), they're quite a handsome couple . Anyway, I am confused by the markings on my grandfather's sleeve: I recognize the "Oberbootsmannsmaat" anchor and single chevron, but I don't know what is show below, the double chevron with something above it. I don't know what the vertical, tapered bar above the double chevron is. Can anyone help?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 09-11-2014, 09:23 AM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

It's BLOCKADE WEAPONS FOREMAN'S SPECIALTY TRADE BADGE. (Sonderausbildung Abzeichen für Sperrvormann)

Here you can find the description:
    http://www.germanmilitaria.com/krieg...s/K014064.html

Comment

Based on the photo, he is wearing:

1- Iron Cross 2nd class
      2- Kriegsverdienstkreuz medal (KVK) ??
      3 - Italian German African campaign medal (Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika)
      4- Flotten-kriegsabzeichen (High seas war badge)
      5- Sport badge (sportabzeichen)
      Attached Files

Comment

2- Kriegsverdienstkreuz medal (KVK) - Sudeten medal IMO
        3 - Italian German African campaign medal - Memela medal IMO

Comment

Yes, I agree. The medal bar is EK_2, October medal, Memel medal.

Nice photo! Your Grandfather wears a High-Seas Fleet badge as well as a DRL sport badge in bronze.

William Kramer
          Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Thanks for clarification, guys.

Comment

Thanks for all of that info! You guys have me all very excited .

Can anyone provide further information on the accomplishments required to receive his various medals? Very few stories have been passed down to me, unfortunately, before he passed.

What would “blockade weapons” include? And what would the “foreman” do with said weapons? I’ve never heard of that badge before!

I am more upset now than ever that someone stole all of his medals (and Kar-98 rifle!) after breaking into his house a few decades ago.

Comment

Hi ReiseReise,

Welcome to WAF. You're at that exciting stage of researching a family member that I was at some time ago researching my father's Kriegsmarine career.

The internet has a wealth of information and there are excellent reference books produced by B&D Publishing, Bender Publishing and others. Probably the best overall general Kriegsmarine English language reference is still the out-of-print 3 volume set "Die Kriegsmarine" by Angolia and Schlicht which pops up used from time to time and also can be found in reference libraries (I know the Toronto Reference Library has a copy that can be used in-library only.)

The various sub-forums of WAF also have a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable members and there are sub-forums here on each of the awards on your grandfather's uniform.

Regarding the Fleet Badge or Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen (sometimes referred to as the High Seas Fleet Badge) you will find more information in the pinned database and classification threads, more specifically:
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...65#post2137065
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...26#post6511726

Good hunting!

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by ReiseReise View Post

What would “blockade weapons” include? And what would the “foreman” do with said weapons? I’ve never heard of that badge before!

o.
                  Sperrwaffen is everything related to minewarefare. This includes laying mines as well as mine clearance. The arm patch shows that he had special technical training related to this.
                  Regards
                  Christian

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                    Sperrwaffen is everything related to minewarefare. This includes laying mines as well as mine clearance. The arm patch shows that he had special technical training related to this.
                    Regards
                    Christian

Ah, that makes sense, as my father did say that Opa did work on mine laying vessels at one point.

Apparently he was "sunk" five times in his career, including aboard the Konigsberg at Bergen. He must have been a cat, and still had four lives to go .

It was never mentioned that he was in Africa, though; I'll have to ask about that this weekend when I see my dad again!

Comment

It was never mentioned that he was in Africa, though; I'll have to ask about that this weekend when I see my dad again!
                      Hi ReiseReise,

As mentioned by the others that's not an African campaign medal but rather the Memel medal like this one:
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=640407

More on it here:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memel_Medal

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Ah, that makes sense, as my father did say that Opa did work on mine laying vessels at one point.

Apparently he was "sunk" five times in his career, including aboard the Konigsberg at Bergen. He must have been a cat, and still had four lives to go .

It´s not the Afrika campaign´s medal! It´s the Memelland-medal!

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                          Hi ReiseReise,

As mentioned by the others that's not an African campaign medal but rather the Memel medal like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memel_Medal
                          Ah, okay, sorry about that. That does make a bit more sense, although it was still a part of his career with which I wasn't familiar!

Thanks, all, for the clarification!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X