No announcement yet.

Classification of Fleet Badges based on obverse design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun, here's another diagram to help visualize the parts of the battleship. (The model is from "Dragon Models" here.)

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

another comparison to Gneisenau
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Norm F; 07-25-2014, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Magnificent warships and a nice bit of computer art Norm.

When you think of the total number of countries, ever, that could build a battleship, not many. I mean, from the keel up:

Japan, UK, US, Germany, France. Of course there are others, but not that many others. What a gigantic national effort at all levels to actually construct one of these.

I personally think Japan is the most remarkable on the list to have gone from nothing basically to building them on their own in just a few years. Not only did they build them, but the product was second to none, especially in destroyer through to battleship design as the US Navy found out during the battles around Guadalcanal early in the war before US carriers decimated the Japanese surface fleet.

Germany of course had a long tradition in shipbuilding as did the British.

Fortunately, there a few of these old ships still around, especially in the US from USS Olympia and USS Texas to the modern battleships on display. The UK has none, Germany none--Greece has an old dreadnought but bought from the British, but at least it is still a museum ship and well worth visiting.

John

Comment

A beautiful US cruiser, USS Newport News. Does anybody know what ship her sister portrayed in the movies? Norm cannot answer.

Newport News was laid down 1 Nov 1945 and was the last all gun cruiser class ever built by the US Navy.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for another great piece of work Norm.

John,

the sister ship of the USS Newport News was the USS Salem,in 1956 she portrayed the Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee in the movie "Battle of the River Plate" i beleive ?

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Correct. Funny when you watch the movie, but at least it was not computer generated.

The favorite movie in Newport News was "Sink the Bismarck".

John

Comment

Japan still has the Mikasa as a museum ship.
                JAndrew

Comment

Yes, something not to be missed if you get the chance. I have visited her only once, many years ago.

John

Comment

As did I while stationed at the "Y". Some very interesting artifacts aboard her. At the time I was young and not smart enough to carry a camera with me at all times and the phones had no cameras even if you could get a wire to stretch that far. That combined with the attitude, "I'll take some pictures next time I'm there." but the next time never came around.
                    JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by JAndrew View Post
                      Japan still has the Mikasa as a museum ship.
                      JAndrew
                      and it is really worth seeing! http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=671408&page=4

Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

Type 4
                        Attached Files

Comment

Type 4 details
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stukapilot View Post
                            Type 4
                            Thanks for posting! Very nice to see.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm

Comment

What a badge stukapilot
                              Thanks for showing!
                              Cheers,
                              Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X