KM U-boat Badge for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM U-boat Badge for review

Good morning fellows. I have an opportunity to pick this KM badge up but I am not knowledgeable in this area. I would appreciate you guys taking a look. The badge is not maker marked. Thanks! Dave
    Attached Files

Hi Dave,

I find this one a bit tricky and I think we need more photos and more opinions.

It looks mostly okay, but on these photos the head looks a bit strange, and the colouring and texture are very similar to the fake discussed recently here:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=746537

It's probably okay but I can't commit on these photos. Can you provide sharper photos and closeups of the hardware and margins? And we'll see what the others say.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

P.S. Here's an enlargement of your obverse photo.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the beak front the obverse and reverse sides, it looks like a fake version of what we have discussed before.

Still, I agree with Norm, better shots of the badge are necessary with this one. It is not a Schwerin.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
        Still, I agree with Norm, better shots of the badge are necessary with this one. It is not a Schwerin.

John
        At least it's not a typical Schwerin. If it's real then it would be an unmarked Schwerin with atypical hand finishing around the beak.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Catch soldering looks off too, but need better images. You might be right of course, possible atypical SB.

John

Comment

Thanks guys. I have requested some additional pics from the owner.

Comment

Schwerin transformation to the Cyclops

Comment

Based on these blurred photos one of the other things that concerns me is that I do not see the well defined cut or groove above the saddle tank that I see in all Schwerin u-boat badges with the exception of the zinc badges which this is not. Better lighting and better focus may make this detail show up if it is there.
                JAndrew

Comment

Here are a couple of more. This is about as good as I can get from the fellow that owns this badge.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Brass alloy fake IMO.

John

Comment

That eye could be fixed by a good surgeon but the blepharoplasty would add about $3500 to the cost of the badge...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Norm,

I told you those photos of me were private!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for taking a look. It appears that this fellow picked up this badge from Synder's Treasures.

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                            Norm,

I told you those photos of me were private!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry John, but it's all for the sake of the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by ww2germanhelmet View Post
                              It appears that this fellow picked up this badge from Synder's Treasures.
                              That all makes sense now. "Snyder's Treasures" has lots of fake Schwerins for sale on their site. They vary in quality from pretty good fakes to pretty horrendous ones so this was one of the "better" ones.

Here's another from their site. Identical setup but shiny new brass and fake maker mark.

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X