Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF badge

Hi gents,
    received the badge and like it. Almost in mint condition for me. (if not redone finish).
    Hope you like it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andrei
    Attached Files

details
    Attached Files

Comment

hinge
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andrei,

Very nice!

Personally, I don't think this has been refinished -- it's just the later type of finish. As described by Mike Kenny, the gilding on these later versions was more yellow in appearance than the earlier heavier fire-gilt pieces and the swastika was not burnished. The same evolution can be seen in the gilding of the Schwerin Minesweeper badges.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

That's interesting Norm. I had thought that the small row of dots at the bottom-left of the reverse was indicative of their early dies. But maybe that is outdated info?

Comment

Originally posted by Neusilber View Post
            That's interesting Norm. I had thought that the small row of dots at the bottom-left of the reverse was indicative of their early dies. But maybe that is outdated info?
            Hi Neusilber,

The visibility of the curved row of dots at the lower margin depends on the alignment of the reverse die for a particular production run. It's quite prominent on some earlier Tombak pieces but can be seen on the later Tombak badges as well (This is covered in Mike Kenny's study as well.) To me, the easiest "give-away" for late Tombak Schwerin production is the waffle-head hinge pin and the flat-based catch.

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Hi Andrei,
              Very nice tombak HSF
              No wories about the finish, looks textbook for the later production.
              Cheers,
              Hubert

Comment

Hi Andrei, very - very nice HSF!

Best regards, Mikhail.

Comment

Thanks guys for the opinions and help.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I just noticed that another late Tombak example with the same yellowish gilding recently sold on John T.'s site.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

smooth flat-head hinge pin on this one instead of waffle-head.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X