Best sources for starting a collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best sources for starting a collection

Hi, I'm new to the forum and also new to collecting. My area of interest is the Kriegsmarine.
    Being a total novice but with a huge level of passion I would like to know the best places for sourcing militaria associated with Kriegsmarine. I have looked at emedals and have heard bad things regarding snyders treasures, but any help or advice would be appreciated
    Dan

Hi, I like to use German war booty for medals, very nice selection and quick delivery to the uk, also look on the E-Stand here as very nice stuff comes up and cheaper than dealer prices.

Comment

Hi!

I buy from German War Booty, Peter Von Lucas (Military Antiques Stockholm), Klaus Butschek, Collector's Guild, Thomas Huss, Weitze, Kai Winkler, Lakesidetrader etc etc etc...

The best you can do is find an item, check the dealer's name and check on the forum about his reputation.

Don't look at the written here as into the ultimate truth, though, because of many different stories.

Look for a good service in front of the pieces sold, as that can be more important when things go wrong (remember that noone knows everything, so even if major dealers are checking their stuff thoroughly, there are cases when bad items pass their check and are being sold).

WAF eStand is a great place to look for the pieces, to negotiate and to buy at the end. You can wait for the seller to lower the price, but remember that someone can jump in and buy it while you're waiting.

Buy for the joy and love, not as an investment, because many times prices are changed and we never know if they will go up or down. Older guys can say more about this, I am sure ;-)

eBay is, also, a great place to find stuff, but I wouldn't recommend that before you learn enough. Even today I am asking for help here on the KM forum when I am in doubt, and I would recommend you to check every single item you find on ebay (unless it's something really cheap so you might also learn something along the way). We've all buy fakes and repros, and don't let that bring you down. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Either you get an original item, sometimes you get knowledge.

Arm yourself with the books. Many are more important than most of the people thing. I would recommend Angolia's trilogy and Gordon Williamson's "Torpedo Los". Those are, I dare to say, enough to start but soon you'll need more if your collection is growing (which I wish will happen ;-) ).

At the end, I would suggest to focus your interest as much as possible. Kriegsmarine collecting is wide area of beautiful historical pieces which will bring you many days, months and years of learning and joy, but if the novice goes too wide sometimes that cause lack of interest after the first shot.
      (something like effervescent tablets :-) ).

Look at other's collections and enjoy, feed your imagination and learn about pieces. that helps a lot, really.

I wish you a happy 2014 and welcome to the club. We're all here to help if you need, so don't hesitate to ask.

Andjelo
      Croatia

Comment

Since you are just starting, I would also recommend posting here images of the item before you buy.

Even if you feel 98% correct in your judgement, the forum is a free double check. It is possible that the item you want will sell while you are thinking about it, but there will be others.

John

Comment

In addition, you should try to understand the history of each badge and its characteristics. The Kriegsmarine Awards, sold by Dietrich Maerz, could be the best money you spend on this hobby.

Thread here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=461165

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            In addition, you should try to understand the history of each badge and its characteristics. The Kriegsmarine Awards, sold by Dietrich Maerz, could be the best money you spend on this hobby.

Thread here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=461165
            I agree with John
            Related to the badges, this is the ultimate refererence.

Comment

buy books before and begin to have experience, the collection comes later

Comment

Hi Dan,

I started to collect KM only 4 month ago, so welcome to the club.
                This forum is much heplful in many aspects. If you have any questions or doubts about a specific piece, you can post it here to get other opinions. Also it helped me a lot to read as much "old" threads as your time allows. A lot of information, photos, opinions are available about many various items.

As stated in the posts, reading is a must. The mentioned books by Angolia are a good source. But also other KM related books are helpful, especially when they have good pictures related to individuals in uniform and KM used equipment.

I buy from various dealers, many times I have looked into this forum about their reputation before I have purchased. But always try to build up your own opinion. Also be careful that you have a right to retun an item if you do not like it. Read not only the shops terms & conditions but ask speciificly in an E-Mail about right to return.

Be very careful about stories of provenance. Only what can be proven is of value. Nothing more.
                If you have the chance, visit shows and trade fairs to handle items by yourself. Pictures can show a lot, but to have items in hand makes a big difference.

I am enjoying very much to collect, even sometimes there a drawbacks and frustration. But more you learn, more fun you will have.

Best regards and happy hunting !
                Christian

Comment

I was going to tell you the best way to get stated. HOWEVER all you need to follow has already been posted here. GREAT advice to follow !! Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X