Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM badge Finish Question

Guys:
    Have a question about km badge finishes. I have a very nice s boat 1st pattern tombak badge, I try to handle this badge, as well as all of my badges, as little as possible and only by the edges or pin. The s boat badge I am speaking about is made by schwerin. When I handle this badge by the edges I notice some very very fine gold/copper colored "dust" on my fingers. Looks almost like a extremely fine gold glitter. The badge has all of the correct die flaws and characteristics etc. is this normal as some badges age? When I rub my finger across the back of the wreath on the reverse of the badge where there is gold on the backside, it does not visibly come off. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Indycollector

photo of wreath
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Indycollector View Post
      The s boat badge I am speaking about is made by schwerin. When I handle this badge by the edges I notice some very very fine gold/copper colored "dust" on my fingers. Looks almost like a extremely fine gold glitter. The badge has all of the correct die flaws and characteristics etc. is this normal as some badges age?
      Hi Indycollector,

Hm. That doesn't sound normal to me. At least, on my all my Schwerin Minesweepers I've never seen any of the fire gilding come off in the way you describe, so that doesn't seem correct for original finish on Schwerin Tombak badges.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

KM Badge Finish

Hello,
        I agree with Norm. I have had my 1st Pattern S-boat by Schwerin for almost 35 years and not once has the finish come off in my hand or any other KM badge in my collection. Your badge might have something like rub and buff on it and if so it will come off if handled a lot.

Here is a link to what I am talking about: http://www.misterart.com/painting/de...ic-finish.html

Regards,
        Jody

Comment

The only time I have had "glitter" on my fingers from handling a badge is when they have been painted (ie not original finish) OR it's been a deteriorating zinc badge.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I also agree, there is no chance that the gilt on tombak Schwerins could come off when in hand.
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

The most interesting discovery for me was that all my Schwerin KM badges had different type of gilding. Aux, several s-boats, several HSFs, u-boat and etc... All were mint or close to mint but the finish wasn't the same.

Comment

If you get "golden fingers" handling your badge, it´s repainted!

Comment

All:
                  The badge I am speaking about can be seen in the thread entitled "Scherwin 1st pattern catch question" it is the last one pictured in the series of images in Norms response. Very nice badge and in my opinion textbook. I have contacted the dealer, no issues whatsoever returning the badge as it is a very reputable dealer who I have purchased several items from without issue, very fast service etc. Take a look, Thoughts?

Thanks
                  Indycollector

Comment

All:
                    The badge I am speaking about can be seen in the thread entitled "Scherwin 1st pattern catch question" it is the last one pictured in the series of images in Norms response. Very nice badge and in my opinion textbook. I have contacted the dealer, no issues whatsoever returning the badge as it is a very reputable dealer who I have purchased several items from without issue, very fast service etc. Take a look, Thoughts?

Thanks
                    Indycollector

Well, if you are happy with that badge – keep it.

Comment

All:

Thanks
                      Indycollector
                      Hi Indy,

I assume you mean this one. I agree that it's definitely an original badge, but the finish is hard to judge on the photos.

There does seem to be a two-tone effect to the reverse finish as well, but in this case you really need the badge in hand to say (which you have). With a badge this expensive, in my opinion, you want to be 100% certain. Like you say, this is an excellent dealer, and if you have doubts, I would think it's better to return it and get one that lets you sleep at night.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

And if you are not happy with it, even a little, return it. There are others out there.

John

Comment

All:
                          In hand the back of the badge is just black, it has a little "sheen" thus the appearance in the photo. Contacted the dealer, he has no issue with me returning as I stated below, however , instructed me to try acetone on a q tip on the wreath. I did this and the finish did not smear or come off except for some very very fine gold particulates and dirt.

Comment

Gold particulates should not be coming off.

Comment

had the U-Boat badge in silver, it was painted gold to sell it better

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X