Opinions on a FO ACB needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on a FO ACB needed

I was wondering what you all think about this FO marked Auxiliary Cruiser Badge? It seems in good condition and is not unreasonably priced. The maker's mark differs in some fine details from the one pictured in Weber and Skora but in searching the fora here this type of marking has been accepted.
    JAndrew
    Attached Files

And the reverse. Guess that second obverse was pretty useless.
    Anyway, thank you for any opinions.
    JAndrew
    Attached Files

Comment

So far i like what i see Jack.

However,the finish is questionable,but could be original to the badge .I have a couple of these FO's and the finish temds to fade to a dull grey,at least on the examples i have.

Is it possible to get measurements from the seller ?

Here is a piece that i have for comparison.

Regards,Martin.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Martin W; 10-19-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Martin,
        Thank you very much for the opinion and the images. I will see if I can gather more data. I hesitate to dither too long on this one and lose it.
        JAndrew

Comment

Hi Guys,

The finish looks okay to me for an unworn badge?

I'm wondering if it's from that small hoard find back in 2010 along with the blue private purchase cases? I don't know the details but it looks very similar to these blurry photos of one of them?

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

You've got me wondering about the maker marks. We don't have enough good postings for an adequate analysis, but the fuzzy prelims seem to suggest two variations -- one with a defect in the lower right corner and the other one which is intact. I don't know if these are true differences or die wear.
            The two on the left are Skip's and Martin's and the two on the right are Martin's other example and Mark's.

JAndrew could you get a better of closeup of the mark from the badge you posted and perhaps Martin could post better closeups of the marks on his two examples so we can perhaps draw some conclusions?

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the late reply here Norm but i have been out of town for a couple of days.

Here are the images you requested in regards to the FO maker marks.

Hope this helps in your "detective work".

Both of these maker marks come from badges that i consider to be of period consruction by FO.

Regards,Martin.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Martin W; 10-21-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Martin,

Would you agree that those are two different marks as opposed to simply die wear? Do they both sit in the identical position on the reverse of the badge or are they located slightly differently?

This could be an analogous situation to the three different f.o. marks we see in the U-Boat badges and the three different f.o. marks in the Fleet badges.

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                  Hi Martin,

Would you agree that those are two different marks as opposed to simply die wear? Do they both sit in the identical position on the reverse of the badge or are they located slightly differently?

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Well,they are two slightly different looking marks Norm.Whether this is due to die wear i do not know but they are both situated in the exact spot on the reverse,exactly 13.5 mm from the base of the badge.

Here is a third maker mark from another FO i have in my collection.Again,a slightly different looking mm but it is situated in he same position as the other two mentioned above.

Now this badge has a different reverse set up than the other two badges that i have,having a rectangular catch plate instead of the more commonly seen "?" type catch that is soldered into a recess on the reverse.

Not too sure on this one as it may be a postwar example by FO or simply a late period variant ?

Regards,Martin.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X