HSF (Schwerin) Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF (Schwerin) Badge

To me this one looks like a textbook example...but I would appreciate comments confirming or contrary to this, please.

Regarding the Bridge windows (per WAF reference thread), "window#1 on Badge-B is almost totally worn away, resulting in virtually no negative relief".

Thanks and regards,

John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jwburchell; 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM.

I like it as well.
    JAndrew

Comment

I see no problems with this badge.

A good original tombak Schwerin variant with the missing bridge window.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

No problems with this very nice example. John

Comment

Thanks to all for the feedback. I now feel comfortable about this badge shown above and will hopefully be able to purchase it.

Here below is another example which I do own and am not quite satisfied regarding period originality. I have gone through Mike Kenny's excellent study of this particular badge and the details are many. However, while I am leaning positively toward it being good, I would appreciate feedback from Forum members.

Without detailing each and every point covered in the article, this badge seems to me to fall into the late tomback variety, similar to Badge #4...or maybe #5? It has a light, smooth and subdued gilt finish without the burnished swastika and wreath tie. The five bridge windows appear well-defined and the first appears to be very slightly higher than the others.. There is a smooth concave impression of the main deck line on the reverse. The laid-down box hinge has a round wire stock hinge pin. The flat-wire "C" catch is attached directly to the surface without a catch plate. The maker mark appears to be fine - the lettering; the stroke in the "A"; no wobbly "W" and the mid-letter dot placement, etc.

I am concerned that the two wreath die flaws are not apparent nor are there any signs of hand-finishing at the outer edges of the wreath. The repro #9 is quite similar, except that in my case the details in the maker mark appear correct.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks for looking and best regards,

John
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jwburchell; 10-20-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

More:
            Attached Files

Comment

More details:
              Attached Files

Comment

Hinge detail:
                Attached Files

Comment

This one looks wrong to me
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, Hubert.

Any other opinions from Forum members, please?

Comment

I agree with Hubert John.

This is a definate fake IMO.

The details are weak and it is missing the die flaws on the wreath,as you mentioned.

Overall,the quality is not there,when compared with an original tombak Schwerin.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Hi John,

I'm afraid I agree with Martin and Hubert. That second one is a clever but unequivocal fake.

Hopefully you can land that first one to replace this one and enhance your collection.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

OK, guys...thanks for your feedback. I appreciate the responses.

John

Comment

soft

I would have to also agree with the others on the 2nd badge posted in this thread. The details are way to soft and the bridge windows way to big.
                            Steve

Comment

One for one.

Ditto JW, Sorry but the second is a Reproduction HSF. The first one though is a Very nice original badge. A comparison of the two should help assuage your current feelings as to its legitimacy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X