Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costal Artillery

Hello,
    my new Costal Artillery badge, Hermann Aurich.
    I hope its good.
    Reagrds
    Christian

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 10-13-2013, 10:04 AM. Reason: enlarged and lightened the side view image

I see no problems with this one
    sigpic

Comment

Images are not very good but it looks like original zinc Aurich CAB
      The wreath might be refinished since that badges are usually faded to olive grey on the wreath.
      I enclose my two Aurichs for comparison.
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Attached Files

Comment

Agree with the above. There are excellent fakes out there of this particular badge but what I can see looks good. A nice clear straight on shot of the maker's mark and a close up of the catch plate from the other side would be nice. Also make sure your pin is magnetic.
        JAndrew

Comment

Hi Christian,

I agree with the others' comments. A nice original Aurich Coastal Artillery badge but with a "refreshed" gilding on the wreath.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

(enlarged and lightened your photos a bit to see better)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 10-13-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Hubert's photos showed the typical faded-to-grey gilding on these badges and it's seen also on the reverse of your badge but you can also see where some new obverse gilding was applied and peeks over the edge of the reverse.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Magnetic

Dear JAndrew,
              why should the pin be magnetic ? In Skora/Weber book the pin is described to be made from non-ferrous material..so should be not magnetic, right ?

Thanks
              Christian

Comment

Hi Christian,

The HA example in the German edition (and the English edition Volume I, page 682) with the non-ferrous pin is a high end reproduction. This is corrected in the English edition Volume III in the Errata tables and the typical differences are described on pages 192-193. I believe you will find your badge has a ferrous pin.

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                  why should the pin be magnetic ? In Skora/Weber book the pin is described to be made from non-ferrous material..so should be not magnetic, right ?
                  Hello Christian,

Here is an example that I have. On this one the pin and hinge are magnetic and the catch is non-magnetic. Not saying that all originals have to be this way, though. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were some variances with the hardware amongst originals.

Best regards,
                  Tom
                  Attached Files
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

magnetic pin on this example:
                    Attached Files
                    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Aurich CAB.

Ditto, an original H Aurich CAB with a refinished wreath in Gilt.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing a better picture of the hinge and crimp area on the badge that started this discussion. With the given image it looks as if the hinge has no foot flange for the crimp to grab onto. Is it possible this hinge is a replacement?

Best regards,
                        Tom
                        Attached Files
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Here is the same area on my badge. The foot flange is very noticeable.
                          Attached Files
                          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
                            I wouldn't mind seeing a better picture of the hinge and crimp area on the badge that started this discussion. With the given image it looks as if the hinge has no foot flange for the crimp to grab onto. Is it possible this hinge is a replacement?

Best regards,
                            Tom
                            That's a good question Tom. I've enlarged both your badge photo and Christian's to try to compare and the hinge does look different. Funny thing is, the wire main pin itself looks original with the proper tooling mark and bend. Perhaps a clever hinge repair/replacement as you say? The top crimp looks somewhat disfigured as well which would fit with that scenario.

Hopefully better photos will help.

BTW, that's a beautiful classic example you posted.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Norm F; 10-13-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Better pictures on next tuesday

Dears,
                              as I am travelling I will have access to my good camera only on tuesday.
                              I will provide than quality pics to see what the discussion will bring.
                              Regards
                              Christian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X