Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Feather UBoat again.....

Hi Gents,
    I got again a five feather Uboat badge from private..... Norm, Martin and Bubba already told me what they think about the badge.
    So now I like to hear something from you guys here...
    Thanks
    regards
    Sascha
    Attached Files

My opinion is pretty useless but here it is. I have one in my collection. It has honest wear, is hand vaulted and the acrid smell of old zinc none of which proves anything other than I "feel good" about it. Until someone can come up with a photo of one being worn or a catalog picture the best I can say is that the components look "wartime compatible" which, again, is a pretty useless statement. Best I can do.
    JAndrew

Comment

Sascha these have been discussed to death
      Like JAndrew until we have solid provenance and in particular a period photo or catalogue etc I believe they are post-war. There will be some who believe but some pretty experienced guys who certainly don't!
      Chiggers - Greg

Comment

Ok I got it, thanks for the answers.
        Regards
        Sascha

Comment

Hi Guys,

I don't think anyone is saying that they're 100% sure these are all post-war -- more in the "agnostic" category rather than "atheist" like JAndrew has said. So it's not as polarizing a topic as "French-made" badges, for example.

I think most would agree based on past discussions that the hollow Tombak versions of this design with their post-war hardware are post-war manufacture (maybe late 1960's or early 1970's?), but the jury is still out on the solid zinc version which is depicted as early as 1957 by Klietmann and has "wartime compatible" hardware.

I agree that a wartime catalog or wartime photos is what we really need since even "out of the woodwork" finds are suspect when so many vets collected post-war items in the intervening years.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Hi guys,

The details look soft on this one, and the material looks porous, almost like a casting. Especially around the swastika and eagle's wings and chest. For me that is enough to say that I don't like this one and don't think it is a wartime example IMO.

Tom
            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

I like these badges, but this one in particular is a copy in my opinion.

Daniel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X