Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "AS" Minesweeper Family

Hi Guys,

It's been pretty quiet lately on the forum so I thought I'd post my "AS" family of Minesweepers.

These are all closely related in obverse design and production details and are thus grouped together as sub-types of Type 3.2 in the Minesweeper classification system. They're related also to the RK obverse design (Type 3.1) but with some differences in die details and in trimming margins.

They're divided into the "first pattern eagle" design (the first three) and the "second pattern eagle" design (the subsequent four). The "AS in triangle" marked badges show three variants of maker mark (including the unissued prototype discussed at the end).

As discussed previously in this thread, Pavel's findings in his hometown of Gablonz established the link between Adolf Scholze and the marked "AS in triangle" badges, either as the maker or as a member of a consortium involved in their manufacture.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Type 3.2.1 is the only Tombak variant before the switch to zinc. It uses a setup, and in particular a type of catch, that is unique among all KM badges.
    Attached Files

Comment

Type 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 - 1st Pattern eagle

The zinc types 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 both have the same "1st Pattern eagle" as the Tombak version. The 3.2.2 is presumably earlier, showing a more shallow catch crimp and deeper cutouts around the eagle's head like the Tombak version. It's a much less common variant than the 3.2.3.
      Attached Files

Comment

Type 3.2.4 and 3.2.5 - 2nd pattern eagle

Now we move into the re-designed "2nd pattern eagle" and the marked badges. Type 3.2.4 has the Type 1 maker mark and 3.2.5 has the Type 2 maker mark.
        Attached Files

Comment

Type 3.2.6

Type 3.2.6 is the unmarked version with the 2nd pattern eagle.
          Attached Files

Comment

Type 3.2.7

Now we come to the very interesting ground-dug prototypes found by Pavel in Gablonz near the site of the old Scholze factory.

These were found along with AS in triangle PABs, Schwerin 2nd pattern U-Boat clasps and W&L crimped wound badges, etc. apparently all made by either Scholze or a consortium in which he was involved since Pavel also found Scholze's accounting books listing Schwerin and W&L as major clients.

This type was made with a sister die set featuring a cast-in hinge block which never made it into mass production before the end of the war. It's very similar to the style of hinge used on the Schwerin 2nd pattern zinc U-Boat clasp.

Found in varying stages of production and trimming, the example on the right was far enough in the production line to even receive the same coppery undercoating finish that we see in all the AS zincers.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 09-06-2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Here you see the small differences in the die sets. Badges with the Type 1 and Type 2 maker marks have virtually identical obverses but an obviously different reverse die. The Type 3 maker mark is different again from the Type 1 and 2, and now there is a noticeable difference in the obverse as well, suggesting a sister die with hand-engraved adjustments.
              Attached Files

Comment

The other interesting thing I noticed was the cause of the semi-circular ridge below the ball-hinge crimp in the standard AS in triangle Minesweepers. I used to think this ridge was caused by the crimping tool used for the ball hinge, but now I see it's actually caused by the first trimming stamp used to remove the area of the planchet between the swastika and the tip of the water column.
                Attached Files

Comment

On a final note, the weight and dimensions of the fully trimmed ground-dug prototype badge are very much in line with those of the standard issue badges. Here you see two badges that flew past each other in the night.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic information, very well done Norm

Andy

Comment

Great summary thread Norm Thanks a lot!
                      I feel it's gonna be a bit tricky to get Type 3.2.7 for my collection unless I send my brother to Gablonz with metal detector Fortunately I still lack a couple of more common variants
                      Here are my AS in triangle Minesweepers:
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...l+range&page=2
                      Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

Superb Analysis.

Thanks Norm for this well thought out analysis of the evolution of A.S. Minesweepers. Extremely detailed with Top Notch photo placement with point of interest. And Congrats on assembling quite the extended family of the various AS Minesweepers with many in near mint condition.
                        ( I believe you have enough AS Sweepers to decorate a Full Crew if you so desired.)

Comment

Originally posted by petopoint View Post
                          ( I believe you have enough AS Sweepers to decorate a Full Crew if you so desired.)
                          Thanks petopoint, but not quite. I think I'd have to throw in the RK variants too.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                            I think I'd have to throw in the RK variants too.
                            Norm,
                            Such views really make me thrill Beautiful RK family
                            I still miss nice 3.1.7 to complete mine
                            Cheers,
                            Hubert

Comment

Excellent thread Norm. Thank you for sharing this information.
                              JAndrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X