Auxiliary Cruiser any chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary Cruiser any chance

HI, I can not find a match for this one in the two major works, any chance for it being okay or is it for the tar pits?

weight 35.96 grams
    59.95mm height
    44.28mm width

thanks, John
    Attached Files

rivet, the needle only opens to aprox 45 degrees,
    Attached Files

Comment

tough one

This is a tough one John
      It looks to me to be a good worn Juncker in Tombac and if it is the catch obviously is gone and the pin is definitely IMO replaced.
      See what the others think
      Cheers
      Steve

Comment

I agree with Steve's observation as it being a well worn tombak Juncker,missing the catch and having a replaced mainpin.

The replaced mainpin reminds me of the type seen on Meybauer KM zincers ?

Do you have the measurments correct on this one John.

The width is spot on at about 44.28 mm,but the height on these Juncker's.if measuring from the center ribbon to the top of the eagles head should be about 56.5 mm.

Regards,Martin.
        Last edited by Martin W; 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

HI Steve and Martin,

Thank you very much for the comments.

Martin, I apologize, I was off on the height, it is indeed 56.89mm.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post
            any chance for it being okay or is it for the tar pits?

thanks, John
            Definately not for the "tar pits" if you collect HK awards.

Thanks for the conformation on the measurement John.

A good and messed with Juncker after all.

I have a hunch that the mainpin is a period replacement?
            I have seen a couple of these Juncker's with replaced reverse hardware that came directly from former ATLANTIS crewmen.

Cheers,Martin.
            Last edited by Martin W; 08-30-2013, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Hi Martin

That is interesting about the period replaced pin pieces you have seen. This pin does look to have the patina and appears to be a period pin. I will add some photos where it attaches to the hinge. John

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                ...but the height on these Juncker's.if measuring from the center ribbon to the top of the eagles head should be about 56.5 mm.

Regards,Martin.
                Hi Guys,

I agree with all the preceding comments -- a worn Juncker with the pin replaced by a late war wide pin, but the original hinge block remains I believe.

Martin, when I measure the height of badges I always use the tallest measurement from the lower margin of the wreath on either side of the central ribbon to the tip of the eagle's head. That could account for the discrepancy between John's and your measurements?

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

Indeed Norm,

i always measure from the center piece of the bottom three ribbons to the top of the eagles head on any badge.I do not measure "diagonally" from where the the wreath extends below the center of the ribbons in many examples.

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

Indeed Norm,

i always measure from the center piece of the bottom three ribbons to the top of the eagles head on any badge.I do not measure "diagonally" from where the the wreath extends below the center of the ribbons in many examples.

Cheers,Martin.
                    Interesting. It's not really a "diagonal" measurement since the calipers are held parallel to the long axis of the badge to get a measurement as shown in the previous attached image, representing the maximum overall height parallel to the vertical axis.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                      Interesting. It's not really a "diagonal" measurement since the calipers are held parallel to the long axis of the badge to get a measurement as shown in the previous attached image, representing the maximum overall height parallel to the vertical axis.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      I guess i just do it differently Norm but my measurements on these Juncker badges seem to correspond with with the measurments that have been published in "recent" KM award books.

Weber/Skora,page 486.Juncker Variation 1,height 56.5 mm.
                      Weber/Skora,page 490,Juncker variation 2,height 57.0 mm.

Pretty close to my measurements,i'd say.

Regards,Martin.
                      Last edited by Martin W; 08-30-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I guess i just do it differently Norm but my measurements on these Juncker badges seem to correspond with with the measurments that have been published in "recent" KM award books.

Weber/Skora,page 486.Juncker Variation 1,height 56.5 mm.
                        Weber/Skora,page 490,Juncker variation 2,height 57.0 mm.

Pretty close to my measurements,i'd say.

Regards,Martin.
                        Hi Martin,

I see what you mean, much the same. Yes indeed, Tom's initial measurement was 3 mm greater which is even more than would be added by the slight increase in the wreath projections, but he did say his initial measurement was off. So I take it back, that large difference was not from the different technique.
                        And for many badges like this Schwerin Hilfskreuzer it doesn't really make a difference which method you use.

I know the Minesweepers in Weber/Skora are all measured in the way I mentioned, but also a lot of these measurements were provided by the individual owners of the badges so there's bound to be some variability based on the varying equipment used and the way it's used.

In the end, the measurements provide a guideline but are not absolutely precise so a variance of a couple of millimeters is to be expected.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                          Hi Martin,

In the end, the measurements provide a guideline but are not absolutely precise so a variance of a couple of millimeters is to be expected.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Exactly Norm.

But i now i think i will be inclined to measure in both ways,the way i have always done it and the way you suggested in post #8.

Many thanks.Martin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X