U-Boat War Clasp in Silver -Genuine or Fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat War Clasp in Silver -Genuine or Fake

Could anyone confirm if this clasp is genuine or fake!
    If it is genuine do the scratch marks on the reverse reduce its value?
    Again, if so what would it be worth?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Files

Hi Chris,

Looks like a good zinc 2nd pattern zinc clasp.

Not sure if the scratches were from checking the base metal or from obliterating someone's name scratched into the reverse -- could be either? I don't think they detract much from the piece.

I can't comment on value since I don't collect these.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Phew, many thanks Norm.
      This forum is an eye opener to the number of fakes out there, I was worried.
      I bought my collection from reputable dealers but all in good faith.
      I guess there is no such thing as good faith any more.
      thanks,
      Chris

Comment

It's a nice one Chris, the obverse finish is still in decent condition
        Cheers - Greg

Comment

Originally posted by chrislentzy View Post
          This forum is an eye opener to the number of fakes out there, I was worried.
          I bought my collection from reputable dealers but all in good faith.
          thanks,
          Chris
          Hi Chris,

There are still reputable dealers about so I think there is indeed still such a thing as good faith. But no dealer can know everything or avoid mistakes completely and a good dealer will still accept returns if an item turns out to be bad.

But it's still better to avoid any mistakes and hassles completely by studying originals (and fakes) and checking prospective items in forums before finalizing a buy. That protects you from all the bad dealers and also from the occasional mistakes made by the good dealers.

When buying an appliance or a car, people always research features and check customer reviews online before deciding on a purchase rather than trusting a salesman's pitch. Why should we put any less effort into the purchase of antiques?

Anyway, you did well with your U-Boat clasp.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

I agree with the others on the originality of the badge. My concern is with the hinge. It looks like the lower part of the hinge has broken or worn away and the pin is exposed. If so I would be very careful about opening and closing it and in fact you might refrain from actually putting the pin under the hook of the clasp as the lateral forces may either completely break the lower hinge or start to damage the upper part.
            JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by JAndrew View Post
              I agree with the others on the originality of the badge. My concern is with the hinge. It looks like the lower part of the hinge has broken or worn away and the pin is exposed. If so I would be very careful about opening and closing it and in fact you might refrain from actually putting the pin under the hook of the clasp as the lateral forces may either completely break the lower hinge or start to damage the upper part.
              JAndrew
              Good observation JAndrew!

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Chris,

You said you bought this example from a dealer. How much did you pay for it?

Are you worried you paid too much?

John

Comment

Originally posted by chrislentzy View Post
                  This is not a hobby where you can blindly buy anything from anybody, including dealers, other collectors, off estand, auction houses, etc, etc.

Plus, to most of us on this forum, buying the item without doing the research into what the item is and why it is period or not, misses the enjoyment of actually collecting based on knowledge.

There are certainly terrible dealers out there but there are also many that try to do their best. Like Norm said, dealers rarely specialize like we do on this KM badge forum, so they can make mistakes.

Of course you have to start someplace, like all of us, and asking if it is period or not is how many do start here. Even this forum is not fail-safe, but at least you can get many opinions from collectors--and in the case of KM badges, it is not very hard these days to be relatively certain if a piece is a fake or not.

John

Comment

Originally posted by JAndrew View Post
                    JAndrew
                    Once again, very good eyes and observations. John

Comment

It is a period silver award, second pattern, of the U-boat frontspange IMO. I think the scratches are a result of somebody testing it to see if it was made of silver which it is not of course. We see this from time to time. I would not worry about it.

Not bad shape and relatively rare.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                        ...to most of us on this forum, buying the item without doing the research into what the item is and why it is period or not, misses the enjoyment of actually collecting based on knowledge.

John
                        Very true.

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                        I think the scratches are a result of somebody testing it to see if it was made of silver which it is not of course.
                        Hi John,

Probably right but I wondered if I was seeing some deeper vertical marks that were obliterated by the horizontal scratching which is what made me wonder about someone scratching out their name -- perhaps for privacy before disposing of their award? Just a thought.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, possible Norm, especially since the scratches are top and bottom on the reverse and not just in one spot like we normally see.

John

Comment

Nice Uboot clasp

I have Uboot in bronze and silver on my wish list

Andy

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X