U-Boat Badge for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat Badge for Review

Hi guys. I was hoping that you could take a look at this badge for me and let me know what you think. I don’t know how I feel about it. All opinions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM. Reason: attaching nathanhogle's images

Hi Nathan,

Sorry to say I'm not a fan of this badge. This obverse design was used by Souval, Wiedmann and the unknown "flatback" maker. This is definitely not a Wiedmann or a "flatback", nor is it a wartime Souval. I don't think it's a casting but my best guess is a post-war Souval with a reattached hinge and a completely replaced catch.

The discoloration from re-soldering the hardware is apparent. Furthermore whoever replaced the catch appears to have been imitating the look of a Wiedmann catch - perhaps to try to make an "unmarked Wiedmann"?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 08-15-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Here's another example of one of these, previously posted by Jan Arne, but with a different replacement catch.
      Attached Files

Comment

The variably shaped cutouts under the sub can be explained by the fact that these were produced with that area solid which then had to be cut out by hand. Note this example has the classic Souval post-war catch.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your help Norm. I was wondering some of the same things. I did notice the soldering discolouration and flipped through a reference book with no luck. Much appreciated!

Comment

I agree, this one does not look good...
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X