Nice Navy grouping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Navy grouping...

Sadly no documents or information on the soldier, but all from one guy.
    Regards
    Sascha
    Attached Files

Hello Sascha,

Looks like a real nice grouping.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Nice Group

Andy

Comment

Hi Sascha,
        Very nice grouping indeed
        Cheers,
        Hubert

Comment

To play the devil's advocate, if we have no information on the soldier and no documents then how do we know this is all from one person? Or to put it another way, 50 years from now when I am dead and my grandchildren are trying to sell off my collection to pay off all the women coming out of the woodwork wanting child support, how would they convince a potential buyer that these were all earned by one person?
          JAndrew

Comment

In a group like this, documents will be the only real thing that ties to the sailor. Even if they were available, who would prove the these actual badges belonged to the document holder.

ANYWAY, great grouping. Was the original owner a CO of a ship?

Comment

Paul,
              Granted that is a lot of awards but it would not have to be a ship's skipper or even an officer. I have seen pics of Maats and Obermaats with this many awards.
              JAndrew

Comment

Hi Sascha,

Story or no story, nice items! Can you please post better photos of the KM badges obverse and reverse? I like the nice honest finish on that zinc Fleet badge.

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by JAndrew View Post
                  To play the devil's advocate, if we have no information on the soldier and no documents then how do we know this is all from one person? Or to put it another way, 50 years from now when I am dead and my grandchildren are trying to sell off my collection to pay off all the women coming out of the woodwork wanting child support, how would they convince a potential buyer that these were all earned by one person?
                  JAndrew
                  Hi Andrew,
                  see that was a family pick up and I listen what the family told me. So maybe the vet was in the navy and in WW 2 I can go with the story. Or all the family medals went in a box and I bought them.
                  Story is always nice, but I only paid for the badges.....

...and yes I will make better pictures for you Norm

Comment

Sascha,
                    Thank you for the reply to my comment (which was not meant with any disrespect). From what you say there is some information on the sailor from the family as to name, possibly rank and other things - if they were willing to have that released - that a collector could use as a starting point for research. I think many of us who have been doing this for a while become jaded and rather than look at the possitive aspects of a piece or pieces we search for negatives.
                    All in all it is a nice grouping and family information on the recipient would make it even nicer.
                    Regards,
                    JAndrew

Comment

Very Nice.

Congrats on a Very Nice Group of Great looking items.

Comment

Sascha,
                        Thank you for the reply to my comment (which was not meant with any disrespect). From what you say there is some information on the sailor from the family as to name, possibly rank and other things - if they were willing to have that released - that a collector could use as a starting point for research. I think many of us who have been doing this for a while become jaded and rather than look at the possitive aspects of a piece or pieces we search for negatives.
                        All in all it is a nice grouping and family information on the recipient would make it even nicer.
                        Regards,
                        JAndrew
                        Hi Andrew,
                        I try to find out something more and let you know...
                        Regards
                        Sascha

Comment

Comment

JAndrew

I wish they would come out of the woodwork long after I was dead LOL

Actually though J, a lot of stuff comes like this over here. I have gotten items in old coffee cans or boxes with what appears to be generations of the families items. You can seperate usually out whom was whom, I had a LW grouping and in it were also 1870 items and WW1. I had a box of HJ items that traced the boys career in The HJ and also in it were some civillian items and a cased 50 year TS,,obviously his Fathers. Ibelieve the posters items all came together. In the future though it really makes no sense to sell it as a group, plus from a selling stand point you lose money to sell it as a grouping. In the future it would be a footnote to the individual pieces to a buyer if that.
                            Iam Uncle Sam
                            That’s who Iam
                            Been hiding out
                            In a rock and roll band

Comment

Munster, I don't doubt what you say one bit and the same thing happens here as well which I am sure you know.

But because of some of the things that happen in this hobby we hear on this site and other places the constant refrain, "Buy the piece and not the story." I think we all understand why that is. But I also worry that in many cases, possibly as with this group, the story is all there is and if that is ignored then it will be forgotten. I feel that many groups get broken up because of the lack of tangible evidence that the items belong together and much history, albeit minor history, is then lost forever. Yet history as a whole is a mosaic of individual histories, a few major but the vast majority minor. So with every "tile" that is lost it blurs the image of history that much more for future generations. I don't have an answer. I am just offering the observation.

Certainly what Sasha is doing by putting the value of the group based on the value of the individual piece is fair and honest but any added information, even verbally, would put the icing on the cake.

JAndrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X