Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcus Hatton View Post
    Hi Norm,

In post ''27'' that is a ''D&B'' made (D&B are the actual initials of the company) case, the specific base type and recess aperture has an identification code of, ''2599.''

Now, I won't say in relation to the ''award'' or indeed suggest that it is case specific, per se. That is, I've often found that both D&B constructed cases and their internal components, and those bases marked with the ''KB'' identification codes had a multi-use in an array of cases for several differing awards. If we look at this very D&B case you will notice that the badge platform resembles the very form of a base we might encounter in a Luft case, perhaps; I use the latter as an example only.

You will also with D&B constructed cases find the ''base'' and ''lid'' of the actual case shell will normally adorn an embossed part assembly number too. They also tend to have very distinct outer-covering pattern/s and once identified can easily be spotted of course. I have also found that on several pre war Luft cases that are constructed mainly of wood that the catch mechanism was marked with a very, very small D&B mark also.

Note: D&B codes and the KB identification codes are very similar processes of a system, but are ultimately two different concerns. Also, KB is not a manufacturer as stated if you search threads from years ago.

There are other questions in relation to differences that I might be able to shed some light on too; I will get back to this thread as soon as I can and give you a few thoughts.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Great information, thanks!

So the "atypical" BB cases with the linear grain faux leather exterior that we've been discussing here are in fact a D&B 3rd party product perhaps distributed to LDO outlet stores for private purchase? That would certainly fit with the observations.

Thanks again for joining this thread.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Last edited by Norm F; 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Excellent thread. John

Comment

I found an interesting old post by DavidM from 2006. Despite the blurry images, this is clearly the standard large case for the Schwerin BB set with the velour interior and woven texture exterior, but the next post will show something interesting.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Norm F; 03-07-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

David also showed a view with the insert removed which clearly shows the embossed D&B logo and the code number 2599. So it seems the classic standard case for the Schwerin was made by D&B, or at least the cardboard inserts?

So where does that leave us with the atypical cases with the blue flocked interior and linear grain faux leather exterior that Marcus has also suggested was a D&B product (which is the type that started this whole thread)? Perhaps a different product line from the same company? It would be interesting to see if there are D&B markings in that type.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 03-07-2014, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Ah here we go, the plot thickens. It turns out Marcus posted this example of the linear grain faux leather case back in 2005 and indeed it has the same cardboard insert labelled D&B and the same number code 2599. This one had a PAB and PAB mini in it but at the time Marcus didn't believe they originally belonged to the case (although I'm not sure why not since if it was a private puchase item from an LDO shop it conceivably could be mixed and matched with other products? It certainly doesn't show any depressed outlines suggesting a BB set).

So does this mean the D&B made both types of case? Or does it mean that the D&B cardboard insert 2599 was used in cases from two different manufacturers? To reiterate this case is the same type as the one that started this thread and is different from the more standard Schwerin case posted by DavidM which nevertheless used the same D&B cardboard insert, albeit wrapped in different fabric.

Moving forward, I'll use the following terms to save time:

1) Type A large case -- The standard Schwerin case with woven texture exterior and blue plush velour interior
            2) Type B large case -- The less common case with the linear grain faux leather exterior and blue flocked interior.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 03-08-2014, 07:30 AM.

Comment

That same thread from 2005 showed this Flak-Kampfabzeichen case which shows a different type of pebbled faux leather exterior but used the same insert as the Type 2 large case, again marked "2599 D&B". Fascinating!
              Attached Files

Comment

underside of the insert showing the markings
                Attached Files

Comment

And another type of Luftwaffe case using the same insert. This type is interesting because the exterior textile texture is very much like the small case for Schwerin sets with the 9 mm mini, but they have a metal push button closure and metal hinge which the small Schwerin cases lack. Also the plush blue velour interior is a different texture from the Schwerin small case with its coarser plush blue cloth.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Norm F; 03-07-2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

and the underside of the insert again showing "2599 D&B"
                    Attached Files

Comment

So now we've seen these same "2599 D&B" cardboard inserts in:
                      1) the standard Type A large case with woven texture exterior - insert wrapped in plush blue velour
                      2) the uncommon Type B large case with linear grain faux leather texture exterior - insert wrapped in blue flocked material
                      3) the Luftwaffe small case with pebbled faux leather exterior - insert wrapped in blue flocked material
                      4) the Luftwaffe small case with woven texture exterior - insert wrapped in blue plush velour

Many questions remain:
                      1) Were all these cases made by the same manufacturer (D&B) or were they from different makers using D&B paper inserts?
                      2) Is it reasonable to presume that the only time a hinged blue case was used for an official KM issued award was for the Schwerin Blockade Breaker set and that any other context would have been private purchase?
                      3) Would it be reasonable to postulate that the common configuration BB set with the Type A case was the official award configuration? And other BB configurations with other cases were private purchase?

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Last edited by Norm F; 03-08-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                        So what does this mean? Were there two different types of large Schwerin case -- the usual faux-woven type and an uncommon faux-leather type? Or were the faux-leather sets put together after the war? We need some more examples to figure this out.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        So here's my dish-back Schwerin.

Richard
                        Attached Files

Comment

This might relate to the discussion of where the Schwerin BB sets were packaged.

If you consider the Deschler hoard find several years ago, here we see a sealed package of 10 cased KVK1s destined for a branch of the Kriegsmarine, the U-Boat personnel office for the U-Boat command. This was obviously packaged and sealed at Deschler & Sohn, so the casing of this particular award was done by Deschler, not in a Kriegmsarine depot or an LDO shop (more in the next post).
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's Robert P.'s example from the Deschler hoard. Interestingly these cases have an insert embossed "621 K.B." I'm presuming Deschler would purchase the cases and package the awards before shipping to the customer, in this case the Kriegsmarine.

Perhaps one can extrapolate that Schwerin would likewise case the BB sets in the factory before sending to the Kriegsmarine? it's a bit of an assumption but seems reasonable. It's equally likely that the customer, whether the KM or a retailer, could order the badges with or without the etui depending on their needs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RichardT View Post
                              So here's my dish-back Schwerin.

Richard
                              Hi Richard,

Very interesting! That's the same combination as the set which started the whole thread -- dishback variant with 9 mm mini in a Type B case.

I could be wrong, but I tend to think that the 9 mm mini would have been a private purchase item rather than an official award piece, since all other 9 mm minis were private purchase and none could be worn on uniform. Having said that, maybe all bets are off, since these sets were awarded only to civilians anyway between April 1, 1941 and December 5, 1942 and only after this date could also be awarded to Navy personnel serving on auxiliary or merchant vessels. And later the PK forbid the wear of any minis other than the 9 mm size for military personnel in civilian clothes.

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Last edited by Norm F; 03-08-2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Norm, I believe this mini to be original to this set as I obtained the set in very fine condition 39 years ago.

Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X