Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions On 3 Badge- 2 KM & A GAB

Hello all.

Just acquired a group of items & wanted a some additional input.

Here are 3 of the medals. If anyone needs better scans, please elt me know.

First I would like opinions on if they're period pieces, which I believe they are, but I've been wrong before.

The first is a KM Costal Artillery Badge. At first I thought this might be an unmarked Souval, but after comparing it to my marked example, I'm not so sure. Any ideas?

Next is a nice frosty looking stamped GAB, unmarked & in nice shape. Anyway to tell maker?

Last is a Souval Blockade Runners Badge with round "R.S." makers mark. Is this the correct style of mark for wartime manufacture?
    Also, this one appears to have been polished by the vet, as did a few of the other pieces these came with. What a shame!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 08-12-2004, 07:45 PM.
    Regards,
    Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Here are the backs. As I said above, if any one would like more detailed scans of any of these, please let me know.

Thanks guys!
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Chris

Comment

Dear Chris,

The Coastal is by an unknown maker. Some collectors do not like this type, but it might well be original.

The GAB is unforunately a known fake (which also comes in massive form). Youn can recognize it by the "Donald Duck" mouth.

The RS Blockadebrecher is an absolute first for me. It could well be ok. Can you provide better pics of it?

Here is the fake GAB:
      Attached Files
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi Chris,

Great GAB!!! Been lookin for one of those!!!! Mint badges are my favorite!! If you sell it I'm your man!!

Thanks for showing,
        Mike

Comment

reverse
          Attached Files
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Thanks Frank,

Here are a few larger scans of the Blockade badge.

Unfortunately my scanner sometimes distorts color to make things look more yellow & washed out than they really are.

The pin & catch assembly look to be like those on period pieces, but I would like some 2nd opinions.
            Attached Files
            Regards,
            Chris

Comment

Back- I had to tweek this shot a little to try & make the pin & catch assembly show up a little better, so the color looks a little more coppery than it actually is.
              Attached Files
              Regards,
              Chris

Comment

Here's a close up of the eagles head on the GAB.
                Regards,
                Chris

Comment

Here's one of the back....
                  Attached Files
                  Regards,
                  Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I agree with Frank, The GAB is a fake but the 2 KM badges are ok.

It's nice to see another RS blockaderunner. I only ever saw one and it was offere on the e-stand some time ago by John (militarybuyer). I hope John or the new owner don't mind me using the pics.

The copper coated base finish on the reverse is a very good sign. It can also be found on some RS PAB's, sometimes the whole badge was covered with it but most of the time it was only aplied to the reverse just like on your badge. Besides the copper coating the badge IMO lost 100% of it's original finish.

The set-up on your badge is different than on John but than again John's badges features an a-typical RS set-up

KR
                    Philippe
                    Attached Files

Comment

reverse
                      Attached Files

Comment

Philippe- Great info, thank. I knew I had seen an RS Blockade before but couldn't remember where. I know the pin & catch set up on mine is the more common of the 2. I believe I've also seen the coke bottle type pin on an RS panzer badge before.

What purpose would the copper coating have served? Someting left over from the maufacturing process maybe?

As for the GAB, the quality is so good I wouldn't have guessed.

Thanks again.
                        Regards,
                        Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

We once discussed this coating on 3 different silver RS PAB's. The once that didn't have it almost lost 100% of there finish and the once with coating retained the finish much better. So IMO the caoting was only used in an effort to get a better base to apply the top finish to. Anyway it doesn't look like it stoped the finish from disappearing on your badge.

In relation to the GAB, try to apply some pressure to it and you will see that you can easely fold it double. I know that the fact you can fold (bend) a badge isn't definitive proof of it being a fake, certainly not on zinc hollow badges, but on this badge it's a bit extreme.

KR
                          Philippe

Comment

Hello Philippe,

I think in this case the loss of finish may have been "helped along" by the vet who originally had these. It seems he thought it would be a good idea to polish a few of his treaures & "make 'em look like new". It makes me sick, but what can you do?
                            Regards,
                            Chris

Comment

Thanks for the bigger pics, Chris. They confirmed what I said earlier.
                              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X