Her is two pictures of mine

Andy
    Attached Files

Comment

And the back
      Attached Files

Comment

Andy,
        What a wonderful piece to have in your collection. It is beautiful, almost makes one want to strip them down to the base metal. I am very jealous. Thank you for sharing this.
        JAndrew

Comment

Here is a before cleaning picture
          Well its no finish left but i know were its came from and i like to have it in my collection

Andy
          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice AndyC

Comment

Thanks i dont want to take over the thread but you and i have some badge that came from the same ship

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by JAndrew View Post
                Composite,
                I really prefer as mint as I can get for pieces in my collection but something like this would be a center piece to me. What a wonderful item. I also remember the previous threads and the underwater pics on these badges in the mud. Were you part of the group that found them?
                It also goes to show you why they used teakwood for decks. Nice condition for 70 years under water.
                JAndrew
                Thank you JAndrew No,I was not one of group that found them.

A video of Tirpitz being hit by tallboy bombs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfzLdNGk-MQ

Strange to think that these badges was inside the ship.

Comment

As I think I have said before Andy, really nice restoration work on that badge and a great addition to any collection.

John

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post
                    Thanks i dont want to take over the thread but you and i have some badge that came from the same ship

Andy
                    No problem AndyC Thanks for sharing

Like John Robinson said, a really nice restoration

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                      As I think I have said before Andy, really nice restoration work on that badge and a great addition to any collection.

John
                      Yes i know John but its still a badge in not so good condition, it have only the history.

I am looking after a HSF in good condition to complete that part of my collection

Best

Andy

Comment

Hey, there is another one on this part of the world, now composed on a nice display.

On top is the Tirpitz badge on a piece of original Tirpitz deck wood, with Tirpitz commemorative badge below it. Than there is Vikind WW2 period Tirpitz metal model, and on the bottom is the Tiritz wall plaque, also original WW2 piece.

Enjoy
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post
                          Yes i know John but its still a badge in not so good condition, it have only the history.

I am looking after a HSF in good condition to complete that part of my collection

Best

Andy
                          Andy, how does one really put a value on provenance and history? That is a great badge you have, but I know you know this and are being modest.

Same to all the other artifacts collectors have saved from this ship. Really nice displays.

Here is an example from Blucher. No, not found on the wreck, but belonged to one of the officers. An ordinary HSF badge? No way. Awarded 5 Jan 1942.

John
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by John R.; 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. When you get right down to it, it's the history of indviduals and their experiences in a tumultuous time that makes this hobby so fascinating, not just a piece of pretty metal that glistens in the sunlight. A badge represents a sailor's experience in dramatic and dangerous times, and when you hold it in your hand, whatever knowledge you've previously acquired about the lifestyle and times becomes focused through that artifact to give you an appreciation and "feel" for the time beyond a typed list of facts. In other words it brings history to life like a little time machine giving you a glimpse into the past.

Sure a mint badge is gratifying too. Again, to me it represents the appearance of the badge to the sailor when first receiving his award at the end of a tour -- transforming a black and white documentary into a vivid colour re-enactment.

Every piece has it's place in the heart of its collector, but this hobby is not about pretty baubles.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm

P.S. Andy, I wasn't suggesting you thought any different from the above. I just felt like putting the thoughts down in writing.
                            Last edited by Norm F; 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

To amiklic1 and John:

Comment

+1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X