Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary Cruiser Badge

Greetings all,

I would value the community's opinion on any of the following badges, currently on offer at germanwarbooty. Thanking you in advance!
    JD

http://www.germanwarbooty.com/item-k...m%20km0048.htm

http://www.germanwarbooty.com/item-k...m%20km0113.htm

http://www.germanwarbooty.com/item-k...m%20km0155.htm

http://www.germanwarbooty.com/item-k...m%20km0156.htm

on number 4 "0456" go figure how the gilding is gone except for the clasp and the pin?

Comment

Originally posted by ethreecee View Post
      on number 4 "0456" go figure how the gilding is gone except for the clasp and the pin?
      That effect is very common on zinc badges as the badge and hardware are commonly of different metals - the zinc alloy commonly "loses" all it's finish (many times it's actually there but faded to grey) whereas the hardware is made from metals (steel, brass, etc) that holds the original finish much better.

All 4 badges appear to be genuine zincers.

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Aren't the F&B's here actually Steinhauer & Luck's? Also the hollow rivit and larger latitudes being a sign of post war S&L?? The first HK doesn't show the rivit.

Comment

Yes, the first and the last HK's are made by S&L not F&B.
          The last one features quite odd rivet which may indicate postwar assembly from wartime leftovers. We cannot see the rivet on the first one so I can't make any further comments.
          Both RS badges look as wartime compatible pieces.
          Cheers,
          Hubert

Comment

The first S&L has the Type 2 post-war globe (flawed and made of Tombak vs. ferrous) which suggests it was assembled later from a combination of wartime leftovers and the post-war globe. Fortunately for the Auxiliary Cruiser badges we have this indicator -- something we don't have for other late S&L zinc badges.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

On the first "wartime compatible" Souval, I don't know if the photo was accidentally flipped 180 degrees but that's unusual for the catch on these to open toward the left?

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

For the 2nd Souval, although no closeup of the catch is provided, when you blow up the detail from the reverse you can see a more conventional catch opening toward the right.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                  The first S&L has the Type 2 post-war globe (flawed and made of Tombak vs. ferrous) which suggests it was assembled later from a combination of wartime leftovers and the post-war globe. Fortunately for the Auxiliary Cruiser badges we have this indicator -- something we don't have for other late S&L zinc badges.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Thanks Norm for the correction, I did not notice that
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                    Yes, the first and the last HK's are made by S&L not F&B.
                    The last one features quite odd rivet which may indicate postwar assembly from wartime leftovers.
                    Hi Hubert,

As you said, the rivet on the second S&L is in question. It does have the Type 1 wartime globe though, so maybe an earlier post-war assembly piece?

For comparison you can see the rivet in question on the left compared with a typical hollow rivet from a post-war example with the Type 2 globe on the right.

I'm not sure yet whether that irregular hollow rivet was late war or post-war, so for now I'd give the badge the benefit of the doubt. I'd be interested in Tom Durante's opinion on this rivet question.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hookahiko View Post
                      Greetings all,

I would value the community's opinion on any of the following badges, currently on offer at germanwarbooty. Thanking you in advance!
                      JD
                      I should add that John T. of germanwarbooty is an honest and knowledgeable dealer, but those badges and descriptions are from older inventory probably before the recent progress in our understanding of these badges.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Many thanks to all who provided responses in this thread. Your feedback was greatly appreciated.
                        JD

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X