L/53 destroyer badge with LDO packet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L/53 destroyer badge with LDO packet

I'm going to be selling some of my badges to raise funds for other purchases but want to make sure I don't make a mistake and get rid of something rare. I had thought about selling this badge but then find very little information other than this is a hard maker to find. Would I be better off keeping this as a rare maker or would this be something that I can replace with a better badge? That is my question. All opinions welcome. This is an L/53 Hymmen badge with the original LDO cello packet. Most of the gilding remains on the badge. If I sell this, what would be a fair collector to collector price? Thanks for any help.
    Richard V
    Attached Files

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Richard,

Wow! Rarer than hen's teeth!

I've only ever seen one other and not in as good condition as this one. You probably could not find one rarer or more expensive although you could certainly find a prettier badge by Schwerin or G.W.L.

This type of badge is not of interest to a general collector looking for an attractive Tombak badge for a broad-theme collection, but it's of very great interest to anyone specializing in rare Destroyers or rare makers.

I think you should keep it as a rare maker but it depends on your interests of course. Thanks very much for posting it.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post

Would I be better off keeping this as a rare maker or would this be something that I can replace with a better badge? That is my question.

Richard V
        Hi Richard

I think that sort of question is only something you can answer depending on your collecting area and interest.

I pretty much agree with Norms comments.

Your badge is a nice example

Good luck in what you decide to do

regards
        Graeme

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for your reply. I am a type collector and collect one type of each badge/award/document/etc. Currently I am trying to raise money for additional purchases by selling off things that can easily be replaced. Sounds like this may not fit that bill. I prefer to have the best or rarest of each example I can find to represent the type. After the last two posts, I am thinking I should keep this badge as a rarity rather than replace it with a better looking badge as this might actually be the best representative of this badge for my collection. Thanks veyr much for your input.
          Richard V

Comment

Not much i can add to the comments above.

A very nice and a very rare badge and only the second one i have seen.

Regards,Martin.
            Last edited by Martin W; 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

AGREED, a very rare badge and therefore quite desirable.

Nice condition too, someone will be lucky to get this one if you decide to part with it. Personally, I would hang onto it.

Tom
              If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
              [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks so much for all the replies. I think I will hang on to this one as my type for a destroyer badge. I always want the nicest looking or rarest badge for the type and it appears I have the latter here. I'll need to find something more common and easily replaceable to sell to raise the funds needed. I appreciate everyone's input.
                Richard V

Comment

Very nice Hymmen Destroyer Badge

Uncommon maker .

Jan Arne

Comment

What a nice Hymmen zinc Destroyer
                    Congrats!
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert

Comment

Very nice example and thanks for the images of the package also. Nice to that and to me, unlike most of them, this one is period IMO.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X