Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF Metal Detector find at German POW camp

Hi!
    This Sunday I was metal detecting in one wehrmacht POW camps. Many finds came from there during last 10 years.
    Now I have found Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen.
    As I was searching online for number of awards presented (read somewhere 2400) I came across this article:
    http://www.thirdreichmedals.com/hsf.html
    Is the author right ? My badge also has that weak 5th window. How would be possible to find fake badge randomly 10inch deep in a POW camp ?!
    Last edited by John R.; 05-13-2012, 05:19 AM.

Mark,
    The "4 window" badge was a common copy some years age but it was copied from an actual variant. If you looked up top you will find a pinned thread entitled "High Seas Fleet Study by Mike Kenny". This is an excellent review of the Schwerin HSF badge and explains the windows variants very well. I am sure you have a good badge. It would be interesting to see it posted.
    Happy digging.
    JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by digger_mark View Post
      Hi!
      This Sunday I was metal detecting in one wehrmacht POW camps. Many finds came from there during last 10 years.
      Now I have found Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen.
      As I was searching online for number of awards presented (read somewhere 2400) I came across this article:
      http://www.thirdreichmedals.com/hsf.html
      Is the author right ? My badge also has that weak 5th window. How would be possible to find fake badge randomly 10inch deep in a POW camp ?!

First off welcome to the forum, I know you will enjoy it.The second thing that we would need is a picture of the badge. that would really help.
      Enjoy your hobby
      Dennis J

Comment

Here are pics.
        I use postimage.org, so this is thumbnail. 1st click enlarges to window, 2nd click enlarges to actual size.

After cleaning I protected the medal with plastic spray for printed circuit board protection, so the surface may seem unusual.

Comment

Your badge is authentic

Comment

Authentic!

Comment

Looks like a nice 6.03 HSF. What some dealers would call "a little salty"

All kidding aside, a nice find. Any story behind why you found it where you did?

JAnrew

Comment

Period badge--great find!!!!!!

John

Comment

I like this one too
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

read somewhere 2400

That's far too low. you could work out a rough estimate yourself, note down the crew sizes of all the German capital ships (there's not that many so not a huge undertaking). Taking into account crew turn over, sinkings etc. it's clear that we're talking tens of thousands of crewmen total, of which a high percentage will have qualified. I think that figure is missing a 0 on the end.

To give you an idea, the Scharnhorst had a crew of just under 2000 men. After her sinking on 26th Dec. 43, those crewmen that didn't already have the badge were awarded it posthumously.
                    The heavy cruiser Blücher, just under 1500 men, sunk on 9th April 1940, it's crew got the badge.
                    the light cruiser Königsberg, also sunk in april 1940, 600 men crew, they also got the badge.
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                      That's far too low. you could work out a rough estimate yourself, note down the crew sizes of all the German capital ships (there's not that many so not a huge undertaking). Taking into account crew turn over, sinkings etc. it's clear that we're talking tens of thousands of crewmen total, of which a high percentage will have qualified. I think that figure is missing a 0 on the end.

To give you an idea, the Scharnhorst had a crew of just under 2000 men. After her sinking on 26th Dec. 43, those crewmen that didn't already have the badge were awarded it posthumously.
                      The heavy cruiser Blücher, just under 1500 men, sunk on 9th April 1940, it's crew got the badge.
                      the light cruiser Königsberg, also sunk in april 1940, 600 men crew, they also got the badge.
                      Thanks Simon! Excellent insight.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

What an unreal find ( the one's you dream of) Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Beautiful find

Comment

Well done Mark , a super find

Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X