For Frank - The L/18 U-Boat Badge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Frank - The L/18 U-Boat Badge.

Frank, remember this thread and the "Zimmermann" type L/18 Tombak U-Boat Badge.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41307&highlight=u-boat+L%2F18

We had quite a discussion on the pros and cons of the L/18 marked Tombak U-Boat Badge, which looked nothing like the L/18 Badge in Zink.

You said
    "It is a shame that we do not have another TOMBAK Mayer U-Boat badge among us to see beyond Erik´s most interesting badge. In my opinion a very desirable badge. I just love original but not mainstream badges! "

Well, I've been looking for another ever since, and here it is ! Nicely used, convexed, and with the original owners details scratched on the reverse.

Last edited by Gordon Williamson; 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM.

You also said "Wouldn´t it be acceptable to assume that Mayer "lend" out Zimmermann´s badge for the TOMBAK badges, but used another design on their zink badges? These are after all two Pforzheim based makers."

Looks like you hit the nail on the head back then. Its the only explanation that really fits now we know that the L/18 we saw back then has some twin brothers out there. You were right, I was wrong. Nice one Frank

Don't mind being wrong when it means I can add another maker marked example to my fleet (thanks to Thomas Huss)

Ian has been helping to make sense out of what is scratched on the back.

HR UN 12084/41T

HR (Owners initials)

12084 Marine Stammnummer

41 year of joining

T Service Laufbahn for Kompanie Feldwebel /Oberfeldwebel equivalents.

The UN is a mystery.

Comment

Very nice badge Gordon!!

Best regards,
      T

Comment

Very nice and interesting Gordon!
        I started shoping with Thomas after you mentioned him here, and he is a great guy and dealer...cannot stress enough how happy I am with this dealer!

Mads

Comment

Thank you, Gordon, very interesting and satisfying. Thank you for being such a gentleman about it!
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Family Reunion???

Glad to see that there is another "anomaly" L/18 U-Boat badge out there! My badge would like to meet his long-lost brother, perhaps in Pforzheim...
            sigpic

Comment

The Tombak L/18 arrived from Thomas today. Here it is along with the L/18 zink. Two completely different badges by the same maker.

Comment

Interestingly though, the hinge/pin fittings are identical.(The zinker is marked on the centre back of the badge rather than the pin, Same L/18 stamp -identical letter/number fonts.

Comment

I love the flag on the Tombak - what charachter!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X