3 KM Badges for Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse:

(I also have an example of the type with an applied hinge & catch, so I will try and dig that one out and post some measurements as well.)
    Attached Files
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

pin open/ maker mark:
      Attached Files
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom,

Great classic minty Type 2 Orth Fleet Badge! Thanks for posting.

It also nicely shows how the original wartime gilding on the reverse fades to silver in the same manner as the wreath.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
          Hi Tom,

Great classic minty Type 2 Orth Fleet Badge! Thanks for posting.

It also nicely shows how the original wartime gilding on the reverse fades to silver in the same manner as the wreath.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Thanks, Norm.

I just located my applied hinge/catch type and took a few pictures. This one measures 57.37mm high x 44.20mm wide and weighs 22.1 grams. Notice how close the dimensions are to the integral hinge/catch type. (The differences between the two are not even in tenths of a millimeter but a few hundredths of a millimeter.)

Best regards,
          Tom
          Attached Files
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

reverse:
            Attached Files
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

pin open/ maker marking:
              Attached Files
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom,

Your second badge is what I call a "Type 4" but I can't see the ghosted "f" usually visible on these. When I get a chance I'll post a photo summary of the Types but the basic descriptions are as follows:

Type 1 - the true separate hardware variation with the prominent raised outline around the hinge attachment area. The maker mark on this type is shorter than on the other types and farther to the left.

Type 2 - the classic cast-in hinge block and catch. Maker mark is taller and slightly to the right compared with the Type 1.

Type 3 - This is the so-called "hybrid" variation which is really a Type 2 for which the cast-in hardware was manually ground off of each badge and separate hardware attached. There are variable striations seen on these badges from the grinding process, and they can also be found with just the hinge ground off and still retaining the cast-in catch. The maker mark still matches the Type 2 and there is no ghosting, but some versions have a horizontal blob above the maker mark.

Type 4 - This is the ghosting-"f" variation which seems to be produced from a die cast from a Type 2 with the hardware ground off. A partial ghost of the "f" is in the original position of the Type 2 and the new mark is now lower and to the right. The horizontal "blob" defect is present on these as well - perhaps part of the maker mark stamp used during the die production?

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X