Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Boat Second Pattern RS?

Hi Guys
    Does anyone have opinions on E-Boat Type 1 Marked RS & L58 on Carsten Baldes site yeasterday.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John R.; 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM.

Looks like a Staegemeir fake to me...

Comment

Hi Rick,
      This is 2nd not 1st pattern S-boot. I do not know if it is Hero's fake but I don't like it either. Finish is off and some details look different than on known original Souval double marked badges. What is more, all double marked examples I have seen were L/58 stamped just below R.S. mark and not like on your badge.
      I enclose two examples that I have in my files for comparison.
      Cheers,
      Hubert

BTW, I consider all double marked Souval badges to be most likely post war.
      Attached Files

Comment

more pisc
        Attached Files

Comment

and more
          Attached Files

Comment

last pic of the first s-boot and second s-boot.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys,

Here are the bigger images of the badge posted by Rick under discussion.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That´s definitely not a Staegemeir fake, sorry...

Comment

Its a good RS for me

Andy

Comment

E-Boat type2 RS & L58

thanks guys for your input as I have never seen on double marked.

Comment

Originally posted by RICK S View Post
                        thanks guys for your input as I have never seen on double marked.
                        Hi Rick,

Of course Souval badges are controversial anyway due to the whole wartime vs. post-war assembly question, and these silver-backed double marked Souval badges are especially controversial in that context.

Here's another thread which in turn links back to two other threads on the topic.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Here is my 2nd pattern RS S-boot. I know that it can be found in better condition but at least I have no concerns it is wartime or post war as it was ground dug in the city I spent first 19 years of my life (Swinoujscie).
                          Cheers,
                          Hubert
                          Attached Files

Comment

Cool badge BubbaZ

Comment

I have found that, some post war souval badges of all types , were not marked with the L/58 small rectangular mark, so sometimes not having the L/58 mark still must be scrutinized closely as to the badges details to differentiate from one another.

For the record, can anbody revisit the difference between the regular rounded RS mark, and the squished one , relating to authenticity? I know in tank badges the rounded RS mark is good, but I can't recall if they were both ever used by souval post war or what. Can anybody elaborate(as it isclear here the squished RS with L/58 rectangular tiny mark IS a 60's souval fake?

I do remember in the 60's that many good souval wartime badges were passed on, like they had the kiss of death, as all were thought to have been total fakes, then later on, found that many were totally original , and the details were excellent , even though we all thought we knew it all even then to always avoid all souvals . This in my mind , is akin to the issue of avoiding all wide pin L/14 GWB's, as if they were all totally bogus, as I still think some small percentage of those, just may be originals(depending on hardware and dimentions,pin shape, and also finish if really fire guilded), although many of the majority floating around are definitely just floch fakes).

This does support my theory that all fakes , except fantasy items , were copied from original designs, or re struck from original dies and had new hardware added when the old new stock hardware from left over stores of unused hinges and hooks ran out, and new ones of a slightly different design were produced to meet the demand.

I think that may be why the issue is still forthcoming today.

I know many who just won't buy late war badges due to the controversey, but also know many who want to have every different example, even the controversial ones to complete their collections if they specialize in a certain type of badge,as in this case the second type schnellboat badges.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X