GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange U-Boat stickpin-What's this for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I mentioned "construction" earlier that wasn't strictly correct, I should have said reconstruction. The badge was awarded to those employed in rebuilding, modifying and repairing existing boats.
    It was issued in the area under control of the "Chef des Einsatzstabes für die U-Boot-Instandsetzung an der Atlantikküste", covering the yards at La Pallice, Brest, Lorient and St.Nazaire.
    Shipyard workers, as well as members of the Org. Todt and female auxiliaries were eligible after 18 months service.

I wouldnt get hung up on the fact that an example has a twist to the pin, that's a bit of an "urban-myth". You can find plenty of fake ones with the twist and genuine pieces with no twist.

Rob's is a good piece. The detail should match his. The material should be brass with a bronzed finish. (or white metal/aluminium) I don't believe they were made in bronzed zink

Comment

Excellent research Gordon. This turned out to be a pretty informative thread. Wow...18 months service.. its a nice looking u-boat pin. I have mine placed with a war merit cross for non-combatants1st and 2nd class. I concur with Gordon about the Brass with a bonzed finish. I have seen a poorly made copy (my inpression) at one of the local shows out of zinc. The fellow even had it pinned to a bad copy of the article it was originally written up in. He wanted $200 for it.

Comment

Here is my pin,it is the later type.Jay Parisi
        Attached Files

Comment

The reverse
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X