Opinions on a KM Sub Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on a KM Sub Badge

I picked this up becasue I thought it was unique. Any opinions on it and the pin? Badge is unmarked. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The badge planchet seems to be made of finezinc, which would be a good sign. I would have liked to have seen signs of shear marks on the edges of the second pic in Post#1 though. The hardware imo is simply not TR period (it looks more US in origin), or at least incorrect for KM and I can see no signs of previous hardware having been removed (possibly hidden by the large hinge/catch footprints). I also can not see any traces of original gilt finish (could have been 100% absorbed/lost of course). Combining the two points though, I have a suspicion that this was an unfinished planchet (allied soldier factory pickup?) that someone has added a basic/crude (but effective) hardware assembly to post war.

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

The badge looks ok but the pin and the catch are not original

Andy

Comment

I agree with Mike. This is yet another of the many so-called "unmarked Funcke & Brueninghaus, Lüdenscheid" U-boats posted recently. Although the setup is obviously wrong on this one, when it comes to the more common round wire setups (like that shown here) most folks are quick to accept all these unmarked examples as late wartime. While many of them may very well be late wartime, there remains the distinct possibility that any number of them were post-war assembly, as is the case for any peri-1945 Lüdenscheid product. As discussed before, Lüdenscheid was an apparent hotbed for post-war barter of leftover stock as G.I. souvenirs.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

The story that I bought with this badge is, it was bought in Germany in the 1960's. Previous owner sold it as a repro because of the pin assembly. There are traces of gilt wash left but nothing substantial enough to catch on film.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X