U boot badge opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U boot badge opinions

Please let me know what you think of this badge ,it appears to have a Z on the back of the pin.It was gold at one stage.
    Attached Files

more
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi actionoke,

It's an S&L zinc U-boat badge. I call this setup variant a Type 2.1 in the S&L U-boat timeline. Here's another example (not mine but used for demonstration).

That mark is intriguing. Could you please show good closeups of that mark and also of the same position on the other side of the pin?

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Norm, worn S&L zincer

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        That mark is intriguing.
        Looks like '4' doesn't it? Another proof in favour of S&L attribution?
        Cheers,
        Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
          Looks like '4' doesn't it? Another proof in favour of S&L attribution?
          Cheers,
          Hubert
          Hi Hubert,

Actually it looks rather like a reciprocal mark created by stamping a "4" into the obverse of the pin. These pin numbers were "squeezed" in with a pliar-like tool it seems. That's why I'm curious to see the other side of the pin. However, this "Z" is bigger and different from the reciprocal marks I've seen like this one from the KVK1 previously posted by jon (tinmantis) in 2003.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

more close up

closer
            Attached Files

Comment

Eureka! That looks like a sideways "4" on the obverse of the main pin. Can you please show a better closeup of that area?
              And as well, a direct view of the reverse of the badge with the pin down?
              Although my imagination wants to see a "4", so far it's not in a style I recognize.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Last edited by Norm F; 12-06-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

CLOSER STILL as requested...Are these rare or something?
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi actionoke,
                  S&L zinc U-boats are quite common but never found with '4' maker's mark for S&L.
                  Since these badges are very rarely found with other maker's marks hence attribution of these badges to S&L, which is very well motivated IMO, is sometimes questioned.

It is not the S&L style of '4' mark but it is still '4' IMO

Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

Hi actionoke,

Like Hubert says, S&L generally didn't mark their war badges, and attribution is based upon extensive study of various Heer and KM badge lines based on their hardware, appearance in S&L envelopes, appearance on Lüdenscheid souvenir boards and sales cases and comparison with their marked wound badges, EK1s, KVK1s and '57 products. The U-Boat attribution was one of the last badge types to fall into place and was further delayed by a couple of examples with other maker's numbers stamped into the pin. This is discussed on various threads here and on GCA.

And also as Hubert says, this type of zinc U-boat is quite common (although this particular combination of pin and catch is less so), but no S&L marked version has ever appeared (same with S&L's Fleet, Hilfskreuzer, Blockade Breaker and Coastal Artillery badges).

Having said all that, I have to admit I can't see an unequivocal "4" mark here. Here's a blow-up of the "Z" mark on the reverse of the pin and then the front and back of the length. What I thought was a large "4" is possibly just illusion and anyway doesn't line up with the "Z" mark on the opposite side.

When you look at the badge in hand do you see anything that looks like a "4"?

Having said all that the only reason S&L's PK number "4" would appear at all is if they used a marked leftover pin from their PK orders for EK1s or KVK1s (as in the case of "4" marked Destroyer badges), since there's no evidence that war badges (unlike the higher Orders) required PK numbers.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X