Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyer Badge - unmarked

Hi to all,

Here is a destroyer badge purchased this week for 25 euros on a e-auctions stand showing only a bad pic. The other ones received were also not very good. But a seller with only this military thing, for a low price and unmarked, it smelled good. I received it today and I feel it good. I 'ld like have your opinions about it. If good, can you say me its maker and period ? Thanks in advance. Regards.

Hi,
    Very nice early tombak GWL Destroyer GWLs are double struck on the contrary to single struck Deumers, which otherwise look exactly the same.
    Cheers,
    Hubert

Comment

Hi ytarg,

Could you please provide a sharp closeup straight-on view of the eagle? I'm not yet convinced from the photos that this one was double struck in the same manner as the marked examples.

But at any rate, for sure a good original badge as Hubert has stated, and a real bargain. Just not sure yet whether it's an "unmarked G.W.L." or a Deumer with horizontal pin setup.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm,
        I can see weak double strike effects on the right middle part of the wreath.
        And please see enclosed comparison - this door also looks GWL-like, it is wider than on Deumers?
        Cheers,
        Hubert
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Hubert,

You're probably right, but it's my impression that the double strike effects are much more subtle on the "unmarked G.W.L." tombak badges vs. the marked G.W.L. examples. This is a theory I'd like to continue to test.

As you say, the wreath veins are a good place to look and the least ghosting is certainly on the vertical needle-pin setup "Deumers", but the unmarked horizontal pin setup badges seem to be intermediate in this ghosting feature, between the unmarked vertical pin badges and the marked horizontal pin badges.

The double strike effect is quite noticeable on the eagle which is why I'd like to see ytarg's example. Here's an comparison of another unmarked horizontal pin example compared with a marked G.W.L. clearly showing a difference.

And don't forget that the zinc versions of this badge found on the Deumer sample boards all have the same horizontal pin setup as these tombak badges but with different catches. Here's Dale's example straight off of a Deumer display board.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a tombak L/11 marked Deumer Minesweeper next to an "unmarked G.W.L." Destroyer. It's obvious why have to at least consider the possibility that the some of the "unmarked G.W.L." badges are by Deumer, even if no L/11 marked versions have shown up.

Cheers.
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

destroyer badge

Norm, Hubert,

Thanks a lot for your knowledge and help.
              Happy to have confirmation my feeling was good.
              Best regards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X