Battle Worn HSF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle Worn HSF

Here is the latest edition to my KM collection.
    I am quite sure it is a good HSF rather than a Dud
    Attached Files

The back...disappointed or what
    Attached Files

Comment

But the funny thing is. I am quite sure it is a period repair.
      When you pop the needle pin through a jacket it does not swing or move about it is quite firmly attached.
      It will do as a filler till something better comes along
      Thanks for looking
      All the best
      Doug
      Attached Files

Comment

Hm soft details and i dont like the needle
        Lets here som more inputs on this one, i maybe wrong

Best

Andy

Comment

Hi Doug,

I agree, a good genuine example. Whatever lack of detail there, as noted by Andy, is just heavy wear.

Who knows when the repair was done but I wonder why they didn't repair the catch at the same time. Not practical if the badge swings out every time you lean forward!

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Agreed, heavily worn and repaired but still original tombak Schwerin HSF
            Here is mine.
            Cheers,
            Hubert
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok but the needle are replaced or? IMO its a replaced neadle, the bagde is good so no problems with that

Andy

Comment

Sure you are right Andy , the main pin is replaced and the catch is broken, otherwise just worn original.
                Cheers,
                Hubert

Comment

An original heavily worn tombak example as has already been stated.

A question for Doug; how far does the needle pin open, eg 10 degrees, 90 degrees, 160 degrees?

I am going to guess a fairly low number in this case. The needle pin has been there for imo a long time based on the wear marks on the back of the badge in line with the needle tip. Originally I thought the needle pin had been soldered onto the remnants of the original pin but that is not the case. Whoever did the alteration may (or may not) have used a section of the original pin but it has been re-attached to the central hinge segment and placed so that it buts against the hinge block. Assuming the replacement assembly rotates at all (and was not soldered up in the alteration process - ie locked into place), I do not think this system would let the badge swing much at all.

My guess, this may be a very nifty period alteration by a sailor who wanted a quick removal system instead of the cumbersome (try pinning any badge onto a uniform, it can be a real mongrel job sometimes!) standard hinge/pin/catch arrangement. Personally, I like this particular example - it has real character.

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                    ...Whoever did the alteration may (or may not) have used a section of the original pin but it has been re-attached to the central hinge segment and placed so that it buts against the hinge block. Assuming the replacement assembly rotates at all (and was not soldered up in the alteration process - ie locked into place), I do not think this system would let the badge swing much at all.
                    Excellent observations Mike.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Hello All,
                      Thank you for your informed comments. I am really pleased with this badge and I did spend a lot of time pouring over Mike’s extremely important work that he did on the HSF badge.
                      Mike, Norm to answer your observations. The pin is soldered to the remnants of the original pin and will not move much above the 5 degree mark from the back of the badge.
                      When attached to a jacket…I have tried it and you move around the badge still stays quite flat to the jacket with very little movement either forwards or sideways.
                      The brass pin is hardened with age and very stiff.

Mike like you I do think this is a period repair/modification with that has been there and done it air about it.

All the best
                      Doug

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X