Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hilfskreuzer badges

Hello,
    Here are 2 Hilfskreuzer badges, do you think they have a chance to be good?
    thanks for comments, Claude.
    Attached Files

N°2,
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Claude,
      Both original beauties
      First is tombak Juncker and second is Schwerin zincer.
      Juncker badge has the globe turned counterclockwise a bit and could you post side photos of Schwerins hinge in order to check if the hinge pin was not replaced (small chance but it is better to check).
      Great badges!
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Last edited by BubbaZ; 10-28-2011, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Hi Claude,

as mentioned by Hubert you have two very fine original badges.

On badges that have a seperately attached globe,it is not uncommon to find some examples that have the globed attached slightly askew.

It certainly does not distract from the overall look of the badge,in this case.

The zinc Schwerin is interesting in the fact that it appears to have no traces of gilding on the ship?

Nice badges,Martin.

Comment

To nice Aux badges
          I like the Juncker best

Andy

Comment

Hello,
            Thanks a lot for your comments! Hubert, hereafter I join pictures of the hinge.
            Best regards, Claude.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Claude,

I agree with everyone that these are two nice Auxiliary Cruiser Badges. I think, though, that the gilded finish on the zinc Schwerin has been touched up a bit. Someone was sloppy while doing so and hit the globe with some gold.

Best regards,
              Tom
              Attached Files
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I dunno Tom.

I have a couple of these zinc Schwerin's and color and wear pattern of the wreath gilding looks very consistent with the examples i have.

We know that that Schwerin used aluminum on the globes of their tombak HK awards.

The Schwerin zincers that i have both feature non-ferrous globes.

This looks like it could also be a case of Schwerin using tombak globes on these zincers and what we are seeing here is an area where the top finish has flaked off revealing the tombak basemetal?

Perhaps Claude could provide more insight here?

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude Bertin View Post
                  Hello,
                  Thanks a lot for your comments! Hubert, hereafter I join pictures of the hinge.
                  Best regards, Claude.
                  Hi Claude, no problems with the hinge pin at all it looks untouched on these additional pictures.
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

Hello,
                    I think that there is a fine coat of varnish on the entire surface of the badge.
                    I hope the picture shows enough the brightness.
                    Do you think it is possible to remove it without damage?
                    Best regards, Claude.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
                      Hello Claude,

I think, though, that the gilded finish on the zinc Schwerin has been touched up a bit. Someone was sloppy while doing so and hit the globe with some gold.

Best regards,
                      Tom
                      Now looking from this angle i think you might be right Tom.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Hi Claude,

It does indeed appear to have been touched up and lacquered in some manner. I know that hobby shops sell the gilding touch up material, for other applications of course, but it is showing up here and there in the hobby.

As for the lacquer, I have found that when this has been done to dagger grips working an edge with a toothpick will sometimes start it flaking off in tiny sheets. Painstaking and time consuming so give it some thought before you start down that path. You may well end up doing more damage than good.

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X