No announcement yet.

Another Variation S&L Coastal Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and both Minesweepers with no "marble cake effect".
    H.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BubbaZ; 10-23-2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
      Hi Gents,
      I agree that Tom's CAB shows a factory made repair job after failure of the crimp.
      Regarding the "marble cake effect" - I can see it on my crimed CAB but I cannot on my two Minesweepers. I enclose reverse views of all three badges.
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Hello Hubert,

Thanks for posting the Coastal Artillery & Minesweeper Badges. Your Coastal Artillery displays that very distinct marbling, just like on mine. Sometimes it will be very distinct and sometimes it will be barely noticeable or even totally absent. It probably depends on the specific mixture of metals that make up the alloy. On Feinzink, for example, it will probably be absent whereas on Kriegsmetall it is more likely to be seen.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

For completeness, it would be nice if we could find some examples of non-S&L badges with that marbling effect to post here.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
          For completeness, it would be nice if we could find some examples of non-S&L badges with that marbling effect to post here.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Hello Norm,

Here is a Hobacher Heer Flak that displays some marbling, most noticeable on the entire length of the 88's barrel. This is a die-forged badge in bare/unfinished Kriegsmetall. The marbling is more noticeable when looking at the badge in-hand rather than in these photos. But I think it is still fairly apparent.

If you want to create this marbling effect for yourself, go to one of those pressed coin machines that takes a penny and turns it into a souvenir token. Use a newer penny (1982 or later) which are only 2.5% copper and 97.5% zinc. When you look at your pressed penny token, you will see a "marble cake effect."

Best regards,
          Tom
          Attached Files
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The marbling might be more apparent in this photo:
            Attached Files
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X