• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Boat 1st Type on the e-stand

Hi guys,

this one is currently offered on the e-stand:

http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...d.php?t=547987

I´d like to know the consensus regarding this piece.

Thanks,

Daniel

Looks like Unknown Maker 7.08 in the new KM book. Page 622-623.
    However, they also state that period of manufacture is unknown.

Comment

Hi Daniel,
      It looks like typical flatback to me.
      These flatbacks may be late war or early post war, or even both - production started wartime and continued after war ended for souvenir market. I personaly do not have an opinion about it.
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
        Hi Daniel,
        It looks like typical flatback to me.
        These flatbacks may be late war or early post war, or even both - production started wartime and continued after war ended for souvenir market. I personaly do not have an opinion about it.
        Cheers,
        Hubert
        Hubert,
        Flatback? Looks scooped to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
          Hubert,
          Flatback? Looks scooped to me.
          Hi Darrell,
          Sorry, I was not precise enough - I meant 'flatback maker' - this term origins from Heer world, and as far as I can remember, was first used to describe PABs by this unknown maker, which were totaly flat on the reverse.
          Cheers,
          Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
            Hi Darrell,
            Sorry, I was not precise enough - I meant 'flatback maker' - this term origins from Heer world, and as far as I can remember, was first used to describe PABs by this unknown maker, which were totaly flat on the reverse.
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Yeah they also mention that the same "unknown" maker made a few of the other KM series. Same reverse setup.

Comment

Here is very interesting thread about flatback KM awards:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...latback&page=3
              Cheers,
              Hubert

Comment

I'd like to see some detailed measurements for this example. My first impression is that it is simply a casting of a Schwerin in a weird alloy with a weird finish - not for my collection, regardless of what collector consensus is!

Regards
                Mike
                Regards
                Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                  I'd like to see some detailed measurements for this example. My first impression is that it is simply a casting of a Schwerin in a weird alloy with a weird finish - not for my collection, regardless of what collector consensus is!

Regards
                  Mike
                  Mike interesting you say re: the finish. The example posted in the KM book has the almost exact same type of weird finish. I had to take a double look to ensure it was not the SAME badge, but they are different,

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post

Regards
                    Mike

My toughts as well...

Daniel

Comment

Adding the pics for the discussion.

Regards
                      Mike
                      Attached Files
                      Regards
                      Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Reverse...
                        Attached Files
                        Regards
                        Mike

Comment

Gents,
                          This badge is odd for the reasons pointed by Mike, as all flatbacks are.
                          That's why the period of flatbacks manufacture is still uncertain. The badge which started this thread IMO does not differ from other flatback 1st pattern s-boots which I have seen so far. They all have this odd finish, same reverse setup and lot of hand finishing around inner and outer outlines.
                          Such badges were pictured in both S. Weber (p.622-624, English edition) and G. Williamson (p.247) books.
                          I enclose another example of such badge.
                          And here is one more, which has been polished unfortunately:
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=flatback
                          Cheers,
                          Hubert
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BubbaZ; 10-16-2011, 03:16 AM.

Comment

And one more example with dfferent catch plate but still typical for flatback maker:
                            Attached Files

Comment

More pics.
                              Cheers,
                              Hubert
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X