Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real dd badge?

Authentic? Your opinions please.
    I apologize for the poor photos; they’re just what’s available.
    Attached Files

Hard to say from this photos...they re to many good fakes on market.

Comment

Hi!!!

From these photos, I would say fake.

Regards

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by bigred1ne View Post
        Authentic? Your opinions please.
        I apologize for the poor photos; they’re just what’s available.
        Please check the types of images on other threads here to see what is necessary for a decent evaluation of your badge.

To start with, you need high resolution images front and back, pin up and pin down on the reverse shots.

Recommend using a scanner or a good camera, flash off, macro function on, natural light, no flash.

John

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations.

FYI these are not my photos. When I photograph items I use a high resolution digital camera on a tripod, set on super-macro, and photograph front, side, and back, pin-up and -down.

I also read the information about the badges and am aware that manufacturers sometimes changed logos & materials, replaced dies, outsourced attachment devices, and experienced a reduction in quality as the war took its toll.

There are also conflicts about the originality of some items that, over time, have been decided in both directions.

I acquired a number of items from a source in Great Britain that some experts quickly condemned as reproductions, all of which turned out to be quite authentic. And since the Wall came down there has been increased controversy--usually settled in favor of authentic.

Add in the fact that these things continued to be manufactured after the war by the original manufacturers (e.g., Rudolf Souval--who eventually went bankrupt) and are still being manufactured with such increased attention to detail that the errors are hard to discern, and I have found the whole magilla to be confusing enough that I ask for opinions from folks who spend far more time on this hobby than I am able to spend.

Also, have you noticed that some of the folks here tend to be a little cranky?
          Last edited by bigred1ne; 10-12-2011, 06:03 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Also, have you noticed that some of the folks here tend to be a little cranky?
            Tapping away on a keyboard when you have a moment from work or family is far from a perfect way in which to communicate with others. In fact, the move from face to face, to snail mail, to email to texting to who knows what hardly improves the situation.

Polite discussion is hard to do when one collector lives in Brazil and the other in Poland and for that, we are glad the internet allows us to come together in this medium and in most cases, fairly amicably.

In addition, many here do not speak English as our first language and are doing the best we can. How individual collectors are able to express themselves in a post or even wants to express themselves in a post varies person to person when the last thing they are trying to do is insult somebody. So a clipped or dogmatic answer to another collector's question sometimes is the result, but I do not think that the intention was to be rude. They are answering the question since if they did not care at all, they would not even post.

My two cents.

John

Comment

I apologize if anyone took offense at what I wrote.

The "cranky" remark was not directed at the posts here; it was just an observation from a number of other queries I, and others, have submitted. I have no problem with succinct, bad news opinions, but some folks appear to take inquiries about a repro as a personal affront and respond with insults or presumptuous comments about the personal qualities of the inquirer. And some of those have been rather lengthy.

The vast majority--probably over 90%--of the posts are straightforward, helpful, informative and exemplify the best characteristics of the mentoring process.

I have tried to make a point of expressing my gratitude for the generosity of the responders on all of the inquiries I have submitted. And if someone wants to use my praise and gratitude for this site to recruit new members, they are welcome to use anything I have already posted and I am more than willing to write a separate endorsement for that purpose.

I remain extremely grateful for the [I]pro bono [I] generosity shown by so many to me.

Comment

some folks appear to take inquiries about a repro as a personal affront and respond with insults or presumptuous comments about the personal qualities of the inquirer. And some of those have been rather lengthy.
                Any such responses should be brought to the attention of the moderator of that subforum through a PM.

If here on KM badges, just let Mike or I know. We will take it from there.

This is not allowed by forum rules and while Mike and I cannot control what happens elsewhere, we can on this one.

John

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have been surprised by some of the nastygrams but none were from anyone here.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X