Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
    Gents,
    Do you think that this zinc Destroyer from Weitze's site has a chance to be made by Deumer with quite odd (or replaced) reverse hardware?
    Cheers,
    Hubert
    Hi Hubert,

Strange one! I agree it's most certainly a zinc Deumer but not a hinge and pin that you would typically associate with Deumer. When you compare them side by side you can see they're the same badge and the same catch (round wire "question mark"). But the round plate for the top hook is also too large. Since there are two anomalies rather than just one, I suspect the hinge and pin are original to the badge rather than replaced afterwards.

The hinge and pin are similar to the type seen on the S&L badges on the Lüdenscheid boards (but with a different tooling mark on the round wire pin) so this setup was available late or post-war depending on when you think those badges were assembled (see this S&L Blockade Breaker for comparison of hinge). Perhaps this is a Deumer assembled with leftovers at the end of the war for the G.I. souvenir market?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

On the topic of weird variants of the Deumer/GWL Destroyer design, there's also this example. I can't remember where this was posted but it appears to be zinc from the setup and clearly the same design badge but with a silvered reverse and late war vertical pin setup similar to that found on the S&L Hilfskreuzer from the Lüdenscheid barter board.

Perhaps another badge assembled at war's end for the G.I. market?

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

hardware
          Attached Files

Comment

...and the comparison to the S&L Hilfskreuzer from the Lüdenscheid barter board.
            Attached Files

Comment

what about this one?

This one is for sale im looking at, and im curious as to its originality(this isn't the one with the ground maker) its stated at 2 1/16th inch tall, and 1 3/4 wide. seems too small in size to me, or is it?

Comment

Hi juoneen,

That badge doesn't fit into this Deumer thread since it's a Destroyer by the so-called "flatback" maker. Search under "flatback" and you'll see a lot of info on these somewhat controversial badges of unknown period of production (late ware, post-war or both). As a category, the "flatbacks" are the least desirable of presumably German-made combat badges (not counting the Bacquevilles).

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Thanks norm

Here is the badgewith the ground makers mark. I thought it may be a schwerin, but i'd say you will know for sure, if it isn't a deumer, just delete .

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                    Here is the badgewith the ground makers mark. I thought it may be a schwerin, but i'd say you will know for sure, if it isn't a deumer, just delete
                    Hi juoneen,

You were right -- that's a zinc Schwerin, not a Deumer. Why on earth someone would grind off the maker mark like that is beyond me.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

I agree, original Schwerin zincer
                      Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                      X