Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Km Mine badge ?

Hello fellow collectors,
    Some of you know me from the belts and buckles section where I try to help JP out by answering the questions asked about buckles; now I need your help with badges and medals.
    I bought together with a collection of buckles about 50 German badges, medals and cloth insignias. I do not collect this stuff, (I only collect buckles) and I would appreciate some advice on authenticity and value. I send this first picture to have some opinions.
    Marc V
    Attached Files

back of the item
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Marc
      I will try to give an opinion even if KM badges are not my field :
      First of all, the pin attachment is not the standard one on Schwerin version. As the catch was repaired, I suppose that this might be considered as "normal". The whole system would have been changed (i.e. both pin and catch).
      As for the Schwerin/Placzek marking, I found yours located not at the same place in comparison with Schwerin standard one :
      on standard one, the PLACZEK word is located just below the water torch ,
      I have inserted red lines on your badges : on Schwerin standard one, the first line cuts the E of "FEC", the second red line cuts the N of "BERLIN"
      As for the second line "Ausf....", the line on standard schwerins does not cut the BERLIN word while this cuts the N of "BERLIN" on yours.
      I did not know if there are several versions of this badge for Schewrin. If so, this would explain why markings are not located at the very same spot. Otherwise, this could be the sign of a fake.
      The metal which "bubbles" on the reverse is a good sign though.
      Difficult for me
      Hopr this helps a little
      Denis
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I can,t agree with Dennis.
        The hinge is the standard patten for later zinc patten badges from Schwerin. Not only on Mineclearers but also on HSF and Hilfskreuzer.
        I also have no trouble with the lettering, especially as it is partially hidden by the catch, this is normal by the later pattens, I guess they were laid out just for the catch without the plate and when the plate came underneath for better soldering they had no choice but to solder it on top.
        I´ve got a badge that looks just the same(catch is broken but not repaired) and I have no problems with it.

Just my opinion.Skip
        LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Hi Marc,

I'm going to disagree with Denis on this one. Personally, I think it is an authentic Schwerin ZINC Minesweeper Badge. The hinge/pin/catch system is 100% textbook for a ZINC Schwerin badge and to me looks unrepaired. The soldering on the catchplate is sometimes a bit sloppy. There were only one set of dies for these as far as I am aware BUT the maker's mark is known to vary in location - minor die misalignment between batches or strikes explain the variation in location. The important thing to note re the maker's mark is that the FORM of the lettering is textbook. I can't explain the striations on the reverse (?hand-vaulting attempt?) of this example but for me they are not an issue. The finish is of the nice heavy/thick type (hence the bubbling), which is not that common on zinc Schwerin's imo. Re value, that's in the eye of the holder but I'd estimate in the US$100-150 range. Marc, nice badge and I can't wait to see the other 49!!!

Regards
          Mike K
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Bonjour Mark,

Pas de problèmes, l'insigne est un bon Schwerin, de plus l'épingle a bien son petit bossage caractéristique.

On se verra bientôt chez Marco je crois.

Amicalement,

Michel
            Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Thank you all for the information’s I really appreciate, I guess I will putt he badge on sale on the e-stand.
              Marc V.

Comment

Minesweepers badge

Hello,
                The badge is 100% good. I have one just like it.
                Regards,
                Jody

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X