Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minesweeper badge

Hello,
    Has this one a chance to be good? Thanks for comments, Claude.
    Attached Files

Original badge

Comment

Yes its a good one

Andy

Comment

Hi Claude,

Very interesting badge. That's only the second example of this unusual variant Juncker I've seen.

Like the first one posted here, it has the variant "Schwerin-like" setup. It's possible this badge originally had the darkened reverse like that other one, but the finish has been completely and thoroughly polished off so that you see only vestiges of the original silvering underneath what may have originally been a chemically darkened surface.

There are no vestiges of obverse gilding, but only a brightly polished brass look with residual metal polish in all the crevices of the wreath. You still see a tiny bit of the silvering on the water plume.

This badge and the others from the other thread all have relatively crude internal trimming margins compared with the classic setup badges and likely represent a later production run in the tail-end of the tombak era, in my opinion.

It's a shame someone polished it like this since it gives it a "fake" look. But an interesting badge nonetheless.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Last edited by Norm F; 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I agree with above comments. Nice unusual Juncker Minesweeper badge . In Minesweeper reference table here:
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=452142
          it can be found as variant 2.1.3.
          Cheers,
          Hubert

Comment

You can clean the the polish off with a soft toothbrush and maybe some soap and water then carefully dry it.

In time, some of the patina will come back to the wreath and it will not have the bright shine to it. Should not take that long IMO with brass. Especially if you handle it a bit and let it sit outside of a case in the air.

Many many badges have been polished I think so not that big a problem with the wreath. The waves are another issue, but nothing can be done about that but to just hope they darken.

Comment

Thanks a lot for this precise identification and the links to the documentation!
              Thanks to John Robinson for his advice, sure I will try. Best regards, Claude.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X