No announcement yet.

High Seas Fleet Badge - Vet Pickup - Help Identifying Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting reading Norm, thanks a lot!
    Cheers,
    Hubert

Comment

Dear all,
      I read all the topics and i think some very interesting points are raised.

So far, flatback badges remain controversial for their lake of quality, that’s the only reason there are not valued by collectors.
      And the story is that its were made after war for souvenir markets.

But on seeing “Norm” comment, i think the story was that’s the exact opposite, it is very difficult to put yourself in the era state of mind.

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
      And I must say if I was a demoralized soldier in late war, a shoddy zinc flatback wouldn't go far in cheering me up!

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      The moral, as you suggest (and it’s true) was very low at the end of the war, among the civil population and also the military, to the HQ from the soldiers who seen many friends died.

So unlike the beginning of the war the people weren’t fools and saw all the sons died (badges decorated war heroes), all the bombing and the lies of the regime about the reality of the ongoing. war.
      I read many story about soldiers at the end of the war who cut out himself their eagles or get rid of their decorations, as Americans soldiers did to protest against Vietnam war.

I think we have to keep in mind that war badges are very representative of the war propaganda machine, and when people see the truth behind they feel angry at the regime and its symbols.
      Only fanatized soldiers were interested into badges at this point, and that kind of guys easily accept bad quality items. Such as Iranian soldiers during the iran-irak war who were given plastic keys for the heaven…

As far as I am concerned, there are all the ingredients for a drop of quality in all war stuff as we observe in the equipment (y-staps made of English web, dead picks up uniforms, pressoft leathers…).

Also when they lose hundreds of men every day, the HQ has other problem than equipment quality.
      Why do not include the badges in it ?

2. They is an other point, the Rb number (Rbnr) were put in place to avoid military equipment factories to be identificated and bombed.
      So why not the same logic for war badges, as said some factories were bombed and when you look at maker marks on some badges they literally wrote their address…
      I is very possible that an order was sent after the bombings to stop writing the maker at the back of the badges.

3. Third and last point about the post war souvenir market.
      Are we sure that it’s happened for big quantities ?

To my mind making nazi stuff in post war Germany would not have been a good idea in the period of trial and de-nazification. I am not sure that the occupation authorities would have accepted that.
      Sure they close their eyes about the selling of souvenirs to the Gi’s, but I never heard about a nazi stuff flea market…

Lake of interest + factories identification by the Allies + bombed factories + illegal post war production = flat back inferior quality badges made during the war, cdfd…

Comment

Originally posted by baptistegg View Post
        3. Third and last point about the post war souvenir market.
        Are we sure that it’s happened for big quantities ?

To my mind making nazi stuff in post war Germany would not have been a good idea in the period of trial and de-nazification. I am not sure that the occupation authorities would have accepted that.
        Sure they close their eyes about the selling of souvenirs to the Gi’s, but I never heard about a nazi stuff flea market…
        Hi,
        Go through this long thread and you will see that the market for nazi items after the end of war was huge. And not only GI's were buing.
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...17#post6491317
        Cheers,
        Hubert

Comment

Thank you for the sharing.

The thread was very interesting, i had no idea.

So i understand now why it is so difficult to but the badges in the right categrie.

But all the points raised are not uncompatible with a drop of quality at the end of the war.
          I guess wi'll never know.

In my opinion, that's just mine, immediatly post war badges of crosses, even made from spare part or wartime quality should be considered as original because there is no way to tell if the are war time of not.

Also many decorations were not awarded, bring back directy from stocks so what is the difference ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X