S & L AC and RS Destroyer badges for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
    but once again, it's these odd anomalies that occur in association with the Type 2 globe -- hollow rivets, absent rivets and now this soldered-over rivet, other times it's an atypical catch or silvered boat or lighter weight.
    Hi guys,

Norm, I think you are spot on here, and can only agree. Its these type 2 globes that are always found on "questionable" badges. There doesn't appear to be any rivet at all, just solder filling the hole. Its this same type of questionable badges we sometimes see in the Luftwaffe world, where the eagle of Pilot or Para badges was soldered to the wreath instead of being rivetted. And this is always in combination with other weird features like weird finish, or the "1957 scrape" on the pin, or heavily flawed eagles wings, etc. I think all these little pieces of evidence point to these being either made totally post war, or at least put together postwar from leftover wartime parts.

Tom
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

For future reference, I'm posting here a comparison of the two globe types. Type 1 is on the left and features cleaner details and narrower longitude and latitude lines. Type 2 on the right has some characteristic flaws.

Below that are two S&L '57 versions - the one on the left is an early '57 with a Type 1 globe and the one on the right is a later '57 with a Type 2 globe (images courtesy of Martin).

Cheers.
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Norm.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X